Result - Project - natural cordage to support a basic tarp shelter.

DavoAnth

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Project completed: 19th July 2014

Project aim: support a basic tarp shelter with all natural cordage and pegs

Project location: Pandanus swamp area 70 km from Darwin.

Back in mid April I did a post on some natural cordage that I made from lemon grass: http://bushcraftoz.com/forums/showt...-cordage%85from-lemon-grass&highlight=cordage. I also had a play with making some out of fallen palm fronds that were in the yard. Aussiepreppers suggested that a project showing the cordage in use to support a basic bushcraft tarp shelter, using carved pegs and cordage as a ridgeline and corner support guy lines.

I finally made it out for a weekend of hammock camping with a workmate, after last weeks hammock trip with my daughter, so decided to see how the project would unfold. Thanks for the suggestion Aussieprepper, and apologies that it took so long.

A disclaimer - I was only trying to show the tarp shelter setup using cordage and carved pegs, so the shelter is not established with a fireplace etc (it's the middle of our NT dry season so we have a full fire ban anyway). The finished shelter was put to good use as a shade area and pack storage area. The tarp itself is a European style ex military hootchie/basha system with grommets.

Most of the cordage was the stuff that I made back in April - being a couple of metres of grass cordage, and a bit over a metre of the palm leaf version. I also has 2 metres of local vine that I did 3 string plait into cordage - not very successful but it was put to good use. I also spent a couple of hours yesterday making an additional 1.5 metres of grass cordage. I was interested to see how the April vintage stuff held up - I kept it inside but deliberately did not check it before the trip - meaning if I had a breakage it was back to square one and making a new batch.

One point to make very clear - for those who haven't practiced the art, cordage can be time consuming and lead to hand cramping up. In my case I get about 25-30 mins before I need to take a break and rest the hands and fingers. A bush crafter intending to establish a camp using only self made cordage needs to factor this in - it's definitely not a 5 minute job like making pegs.

Pics are numbered in order in case my uploads go astray.

1 carved pegs.jpg
Photo 1 - two of the basic pegs

2 tarp, cordage and pegs.jpg
Photo 2 - the tarp, page, and selection of natural grass, vine and palm cordage

3 ridgeline.jpg3a ridgeline.jpg
Photo 3 - The ridge line

4 pegging tarp out.jpg
Photo 4 - Tarp pegged out

5 tarp suspended.jpg
Photo 5 - Tarp supported buy ridge line

6 grass cordage guyline and peg.jpg
Photo 6 - grass cordage and guyline

7 palm cordage guyline.jpg
Photo 7 - palm leaf cordage guy line

8 completed shelter.jpg
Photo 8 - completed tarp shelter

All up, an enjoyable afternoon setting this project up. And it stayed erect overnight, so the cordage has been brought home to be put to other uses around the garden.

Thanks again Aussiepreppers for giving me the incentive.

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Great work. Looks like the cordage was able to stand up to some knots too - that is often when/where it breaks.
Doubly good to be able to reuse it too

Thanks

DavoAnth

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Cheers Aussie. I gave the ends a break test as I was tying it with no breakage. One bit did snap, but that was when I tripped over it to take a pic, and there was enough left to re-splice. It will all be recycled into tying up my tomato and chilli plants tomorrow.

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Cheers Aussie. I gave the ends a break test as I was tying it with no breakage. One bit did snap, but that was when I tripped over it to take a pic, and there was enough left to re-splice. It will all be recycled into tying up my tomato and chilli plants tomorrow.
Good re-use for the veges - all organic etc. You'd better give us a post in the Homesteading forum too :;):

AussiePreppers

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Well done - do the mods want to get this wrapped up into a project? I was going to write it all up to make it easier for you but I can't spend longer than a few minutes infront of the computer at the moment.