Result: Project - 2 Day Pack - Greatbloke

Greatbloke

Jack Abasalom
Reaction score
Date: This project was completed on 23/May/2014

Picture 1. Main pack contents

Picture 2. Scout bag contents. [ For short walks away from camp]

Picture 3. Packed rucksack.
Under 8kg without water bottles, and only some tea, coffee and snack bars left over in the food bag.

Some other items:
Hat, sunglasses, iphone with GPS apps,
keys wallet,
hanky.
travel towel
Might add map and battery backup for iphone to pack.

Last edited:

Alex551

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Nice set up.. I would loose the umbrella and get a USGI poncho or something.. way more practical, but that's only my 2 cents

Greatbloke

Jack Abasalom
Reaction score
Thanks Alex.
Yeah I like those ponchos a lot, big fan in fact, great breathability being so open and just flap your arms now and again if moisture rises too much.
The convenience of the umbrella has won me over in sheltered forests at least. I may even lash out and buy a decent trekking umbrella instead of a $2 one.
[video=youtube;PCavBFyZE4E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCavBFyZE4E[/video]
On those stop/start drizzly days it's so much easier to keep on the move, rather than stopping to change every five minutes when the sun comes out or goes away.
And it's for shade too. :)

The wheelie bin bags that I have double as a poncho among other things.
Here's one that I prepared earlier. :)

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
I think it's a great idea as an emergency poncho.
Nice load out greatbloke. Do you have a sleepingmat in there? EDIT: just saw it.

cityboy

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
those wheelie big bags are great... I've used one as a rain poncho or as a ground sheet.. cheap too from bunnings...
I agree with Wentworth.. Profile pic :)

How big is the backpack... looks like you have a lot of room left in there

Brumby53

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Thanks Alex.
Yeah I like those ponchos a lot, big fan in fact, great breathability being so open and just flap your arms now and again if moisture rises too much.
The convenience of the umbrella has won me over in sheltered forests at least. I may even lash out and buy a decent trekking umbrella instead of a $2 one.
[video=youtube;PCavBFyZE4E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCavBFyZE4E[/video]
On those stop/start drizzly days it's so much easier to keep on the move, rather than stopping to change every five minutes when the sun comes out or goes away.
And it's for shade too. :)

The wheelie bin bags that I have double as a poncho among other things.
Here's one that I prepared earlier. :)

The whole set up looks great & well thought out.
Just an aside/possible tip... I have some wheelie Bin Bags too but I got some bright Orange ones (Actually might be sold as Super Tough Garden Bags) But big enough to curl up in If you got stuck and had to.
And I figure if I did happen to get into strife The Bright Orange would be an emergency aid for anyone looking for me.

Taplow

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Thanks for posting your gear - I need to cut down on stuff as I'm twice as heavy.

I like the umbrella in the video - if they could guarantee that I wouldn't leave it on the train like all my other umbrellas I be tempted to get one:_sii:

swampy99

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
The umbrella is a top bit of kit and I have the helinox one I had a bit of an issue with it and the baggage monkeys at brisbane or KLIA but the customer service from Helinox australia was to class. No questions asked and I got a replacement.
here is my little film with the brolly being used on fraser island.

[video=youtube;QT2l_UPsY0k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QT2l_UPsY0k&list=UU70-RsRYxhMVX9Rd2s_EbNA[/video]

biggles1024

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
GreatBloke, would please tell me what you're using for you scout pack? Do you carry the scout pack inside your main pack, strapped to the outside or ??????

Cheers,

b.

Greatbloke

Jack Abasalom
Reaction score
Hey biggles, good to see you back on the forum lately. :)

The scout bag is pretty versatile and I use it a number of different ways; inside pack, outside on shoulder, on belt, on rucksack straps...
It has belt loops and a quick release shoulder strap.

I've had it a year or two I think... I just checked and it's still available on ebay. Looks like the same one, anyway.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Men-Nylon-Water-Bottle-Kettle-Packs-Waist-Bum-Bag-Pouch-Travel-Shoulder-Bag-au-/271514004348?pt=AU_Hunting&var=&hash=item3f377eeb7c

biggles1024

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Hi GB,
I had back surgery in June of last year or more correctly, Failed Back Surgery. Since then I've taken a chemist shops worth of different tablets and I'm only just now starting to come good. I'm hoping to be able to get out for some day hikes soon. I''m wanting to put together a system very similar to yours. A main pack with shelter, sleeping, cooking gear etc and a scouting bag with my geocaching and survival gear in it. There's a lot of crossover between the two in the scouting bag so it doesn't need to be too big. My idea is that if I'm hiking along a main track and I need to do an 'out and return', I'll drop my main pack just off the main track, mark it's location and conceal it and then proceed with just the scouting pack. The main pack will be retrieved upon my return.
In a very loose sense, its like having my old army webbing and backpack. The webbing contained all the essentials and the pack the 'luxuries'. ;)

Cheers,
b.