resharpening that flint

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
several options, and the last one looks really easy, do-it-yourself pressure flaker from a large nail and a piece of dowel, going to make one up today

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Yep - Pressure flaker is much more controllable than a bopper, but both have their role ...
Its good to have both ! But rather than even making a bopper, you can use a rock.

Look for a nice river rock (smooth) which is weighty and sits nicely in your hand, I have a "set" of 3 or 4 with increasing weights;
that way I can use a bigger rock if I have a difficult bit to remove.

koalaboi

Ray Mears
Reaction score
I think that the nail is a bit too long. Again you need a softer metal that will grab the edge.

On using boppers, hammerstones and pressure flakers: (these are just my personal opinions)

Hammer stones are good for spalling off large flakes at the beginning of your reduction. Boppers go well for finer percussion flaking as they give you better accuracy and control.

Pressure flakers are the tool for that final bit of work to really get your piece finished. That being said, some rocks are so brittle I do nearly all my work using a pressure flaker.

KB

Chigger

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Reading all of this remembered I had a few dulled flintstones so set to work with my pressure flaker. Takes a bit of practice, just take a tiny bit of at a time.

Good idea to wear safety glasses and watch out for the tiny flakes as they are razor sharp.

Knapped Flintstones.JPG

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
yeah I am going to buy a bopper/pressure flaker combined tool (I have one on my watch list) as I suck at making things. I will also find a hammer stone or two. (bugger buying heavy rocks...LoL)