Red River Gum Knife

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score

Hey,I with to show you guys this knife I made with some local timber.It is a small Nordic style knife I made with red river gum and arctic caribou antler.The blade was made in pola in Finland and the black spaces are kangaroo leather.Bolster is sliver nickel and traditional style sheath is 3mm veg tan leather.

I kind of think of this knife as the dry Australia bush meets the icy Alaskan tundra.With a bit of Scandinavia in there as well for good measure.I also made the sammi style pouches in the backgrond using roo hide.

Fits the hand nicely..good user as they sometimes say guys.:D
Eucalyptus wood and caribou antler,cold north meets the warm south.I love these materials but feel like I am barely doing them justice sometimes.The red river gum has a truly amazing grain and color.

Sheath fits like a glove...I love this style of sheath such a clever design.Love that satisfying plop sound as blade into the sheath...

graybear

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Love your work man, very nice. The combination of materials is very satisfying. Its good to see others who appreciate this style of knife!

Those Pola blades have a great finish (excuse the pun), have you made many other pieces? Did you make the bolster yourself?

Like the leather work too, very neat indeed.

GB

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Thats gougeous work mate, i really like the design of the handle in particular, the way it has a slight taper and bend.

The red gum is a beautiful wood indeed,

Maybe a little off topic but can you tell me about those leather pouches i see in the background of those pictures?

Mountainwalker

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
That is one beautiful knife, great mixture of influences. Not heard of pola blades before.

I've been thinking of a projoject like this using the enzo nordic, but need to set up a bit of a workshop first.

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for some cool feedback guys..!!

Love your work man, very nice. The combination of materials is very satisfying. Its good to see others who appreciate this style of knife!

Those Pola blades have a great finish (excuse the pun), have you made many other pieces? Did you make the bolster yourself?

Like the leather work too, very neat indeed.

GB
Yes Greybear I drilled and filed out the bolster myself which really takes forever.I have made about five knifes so far all of them Nordic style blades.

Thats gougeous work mate, i really like the design of the handle in particular, the way it has a slight taper and bend.

The red gum is a beautiful wood indeed,

Maybe a little off topic but can you tell me about those leather pouches i see in the background of those pictures?
That style of pouch is called a sammi coffee pouch Blake.Traditionally they where made from reindeer hide but here I have used kangaroo for mine.It is a really good design pouch you can good for carrying foods like coffee,bannock,flour.I got one I just use keep all my fire lighting kit in.

That is one beautiful knife, great mixture of influences. Not heard of pola blades before.

I've been thinking of a projoject like this using the enzo nordic, but need to set up a bit of a workshop first.
Enzo's are great blades I going to use one for my next knife.I just moved house so my workshop is a bit of a mess to.

E

ephbulay123

Account Inactive
Wow, that's really an awesome knife! Are you a knife maker?

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow, that's really an awesome knife! Are you a knife maker?
I will take the liberty to answer this one for him!

Whilst Oz has forged his own blades and also put many handles on purchased blades I won't let him call himself a knifemaker until he puts a handle on one of his own blades. Particularly one called "the caveman" which in my honest opinion has potential to be one of the coolest knives ever ..... if ever he gets it finished.... ;)

Keep up the good work Oz :p

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
I will take the liberty to answer this one for him!

Whilst Oz has forged his own blades and also put many handles on purchased blades I won't let him call himself a knifemaker until he puts a handle on one of his own blades. Particularly one called "the caveman" which in my honest opinion has potential to be one of the coolest knives ever ..... if ever he gets it finished.... ;)

Keep up the good work Oz :p
Lol..Thanks Corin..!!I made about 5 knifes all kind of stick tang.This last one is my best I think it was easier than the rest I learn a lot.Got a few more knifes in the works!!

bobmouse

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
beautiful blade! i like how u hav made the handle large even though the blade is small.
these days the main thing i look for in a knmife purchase is the handle size/shape which means at least 4.5inches ideally 5.5 inches in length.