BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Real Steel Luna Lite D2 ( Slip Joint )

old4570

Les Stroud
Reaction score

I got this knife some time ago , and it's performance on the rope was disappointing !

So a little while ago I reground the bevel . Now I was only able to clean up 50% as the factory grind was seriously FUBAR . I guess a blind man must have ground this one , and perhaps his seeing eye dog should have got the job ? ...

Anyways ,

The concept of the LUNA lite is fantastic ! ( Love it )
A pocket knife that weighs very little , and has a decent D2 blade on it .. (?) The grind boss . the grind !
As a pocket knife concept , it be a hands down winner ! 10 out of 10
Though in the past , the slicing performance was very ho hum ..

That is until I did a full regrind on 50% of the blade , the rest of the blade is so FUBAR I just had to leave it .
Thankfully 50% of the good blade is at the front and the bad 50% is to the handle .

So ? Result would be a 350 slice pass or a 400 slice fail , take your pick !
With the factory grind , the results were not so great ( sorry , dont remember ) . All I remember is how disappointed I was with this knife .

EDGE

Edge was reground to 17 degrees , did a 350 pass on the rope .
Has been re sharpened VIA guided knife sharpener to 22 deg ..
So the blade is a double bevel right now .
17 degree main bevel with a 22 deg micro / mini bevel for the edge .
I did this so that I could remove the FUBAR with as little steel removal as possible .
So .... 100% of the blade should be fully functional now .
We do what we have to , ....

Should you buy one ?
Do you want a true pocket knife ?
A knife that is seriously EDC
A knife that vanishes from your senses ?

Walking around the house with the Luna Lite in my pocket , I never noticed it . After a few minutes , it's like your pocket is empty . There is no tell tale slap against your leg off a heavy knife or object when walking . The Luna Lite completely vanishes from your senses and I was constantly slapping the outside of my pocket , cos I thought I may have dropped it .
Nothing to complain about , aside from a poor performing factory bevel .