BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Re introduction

WanderOn

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Figure I would re introduce myself as the more I read on this forum the more I realise what I’m trying to achieve.

Bit of background is myself and soon to be wife are planning a trip round Australia starting January 2023 with our 3 kids.

Selling up all our junk except for some sentimental items and renting out the house with no intensions of returning to the house or current lifestyle.

I’m an electrician by trade with too many years in heavy industry, high voltage and underground mining. The last 10 years or so have been in underground mining automation, so basically getting the black stuff out quicker. Lots of moral implications there but that’s another discussion.

We’re looking to live a simpler life and find where we feel at home. Currently living west Lake Macquarie which has unfortunately become busier and more crowded and will only get worse with huge developments going ahead.

Have slowly been preparing a 1999 HZJ105 Landcruiser and camper. Lots of preventative maintenance and some mods to improve off-road ability and suit our needs. Will behave and not go on too much about the car. Growing up always had old cars around being restored so buying a new car wasn’t an option.

Unfortunately most of my skills are applicable to mining and heavy industry. I have been slowly learning but need to spend a lot more time in the bush.

With regards to our big trip, it’s not so much specific destinations are our goals but time spent exploring, learning and just being in the bush together.

A5D9D92F-7CA3-4B36-9BF7-87D716679503.jpeg

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
That sounds like an awesome plan.
I'm sure you will find an adventure along the way

If you're heading off in Jan, you may consider heading south to avoid the heat and cyclones further north ?

Askew

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Should be an incredible trip. How old are your kids? I'm assuming you're going to homeschool them while travelling.
If you want to go on about the car start a thread in the transport section, be interesting to see how you've set it up for a trip like this.

WanderOn

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
That sounds like an awesome plan.
I'm sure you will find an adventure along the way

If you're heading off in Jan, you may consider heading south to avoid the heat and cyclones further north ?
Aussie
Thanks mate
Plan at the moment is to head up through the mountains west of Coffs and head south sticking to the dirt as much as possible. Head down to the high country

WanderOn

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Should be an incredible trip. How old are your kids? I'm assuming you're going to homeschool them while travelling.
If you want to go on about the car start a thread in the transport section, be interesting to see how you've set it up for a trip like this.
Thanks Askew
Kids are 11, 4 and 2 at the moment so we will be home schooling. Actually looking forward to it but know it’s going to be challenging.
Hahaha
Will post up some of the work I’ve done on the car and camper. Been a lot of work. Lots of preventive maintenance, don’t really want to get stuck for something I should have done.
Also figure I’ll know the car so I’ll have more of a chance of limping it home.

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Good for you. Wish I had the guts to do something like that. I hope you have a wonderful time!

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
So what I’d like to do as well, but stuck to semi suburbia atm, “work”

looking forward to more of your postings 👍👍

if your heading inland, check the mouse and rat issues, they love to get up and chew electrics 😬😬

T.C.

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Sounds Idyllic, at least you have picked a vehicle up to the task, but I'm bias being a 105 owner as well.

WanderOn

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
So what I’d like to do as well, but stuck to semi suburbia atm, “work”

looking forward to more of your postings 👍👍

if your heading inland, check the mouse and rat issues, they love to get up and chew electrics 😬😬
We were out capertee over Easter. There was a lot of mice around.
My daughter had me out checking what the scratching and scurrying noises were at night.
Found one of the little buggers squashed flat under the camper floor. Think I stood on it going for a midnight wee.
So far no phantom electrical faults. Fingers crossed. That’s the stuff of nightmares.

Craig H

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Selling up all our junk except for some sentimental items and renting out the house with no intensions of returning to the house or current lifestyle.

Mate! That sounds like a dream. You and your fam will have an epic time out there. You're doing the right thing selling up, renting out, and leaving your end-date up in the air... There's so much to see out there, you may not want to come back 🙌

WanderOn

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Thanks Craig.
It’s more than likely we won’t come back to where we are.
Where we settle eventually is anyone’s guess, but the boss does have a soft spot for Tassie