Random track pics.

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
Blake well done
1. dingo /dog
2. Deer Red
3. deer red
4. Wallaby ,Richochetting, the name of the jumping gait of macropods coined by E. Muybridge to describe sustained bipedal leaping.
5. Ibis (in water)

if anyone is interested the other gait term used for macrods walking on all four is called punting.

Last edited:

ErichFromm

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
The bear tracks - it must be weird going out into the bush and knowing that something could possibly be hunting you..... snakes and spiders don't really bother me, but a massive bear that could be following me because it's hungry might make it a little difficult for me to sleep at night.....

woodsrunner

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
The bear tracks - it must be weird going out into the bush and knowing that something could possibly be hunting you..... snakes and spiders don't really bother me, but a massive bear that could be following me because it's hungry might make it a little difficult for me to sleep at night.....
ive never personally had a problem with a bear entering my camp at night, though in the past two years weve had four fatal bear attacks in and around yellowstone park.
last year i had seven bear encounters, all but two ran away.
the two that didn't, one was a black bear who stood her ground after sending a cub up a tree....we gave her a wide berth with no problem...next, me and a friend had a grizzly bear step out onto the trail within twenty feet of us.
we had a staring contest, after a few moments we backed away and he stood his ground but allowed us to leave without incident.
personally i worry more about mountain lions...they don't eat anything they don't kill and thier real good at it...wolves too...woods

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
wow thanks for this thread, very interesting, Ive just NEVER thought to take photos of tracks I see while out hiking
.....human tracks interest me, have a habit of watching the shoe/boot markings that other hikers have left and quiet often can tell where they have been or stopped to take in views..or work out how many are in a walking party (well try too), even to shoe size, depth of track to try and work out male, female, kids etc and also if they are using hiking sticks, so you may guess I go into heaven when I see sandy or silt walking trails. See lots of other animal tracks, fox, roo, rat, birds etc...so thats IT i'm taking photos from now on

thanks for this neat topic Hairyman

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
The recent rains means there are heaps of tracks to look at.
DSCF5804 (640x480).jpg
Fresh water turtle, note skid marks where undershell contacts the silty ground.
DSCF5807 (640x480).jpg
The tracks of a web footed bird, likely a duck (right and at top) next to that of a wading bird, likely an egret.

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
DSCF5811.jpg
Nice impression of a rabbits hindfoot including fur.
DSCF5808 (640x480).jpg
Goanna

Last edited:

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
I hope you can see the detail in this pic it is a swamp wallaby track one of few found today mostly all red neck wallaby tracks.
On the long toe you have the toe nail , then first pad, second pad, then you have a small 3rd pad then the palm
View attachment 9088fresh is best

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Thats a beauty, there is a strange optical illusion with some track pics, they seem to be standing out of the ground sometimes instead of impressed in it.

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Just because wallaby and dog have traveled over the same ground and in the same direction, it doesnt mean the dog was chasing the wallaby or trailing it.
Animals will choose the same parth of least resistance to move about.
The wallaby tracks were of a relaxed animal, slowing to a slow punt a few meters on.
There was no wallaby in sight when I saw my dog briefly cover the same ground.... and yes she has very big feet.
DSCF6129 (396x640).jpg

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
Taken by a small water way many tracks found A bandicoot , small bird and wallaby other prints I have no idea made when a little more sticky with less water flowing.
View attachment 9676

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
Today I made positive ID on the other tracks above that were in sticky sand causing some confussion to the ID
View attachment 9735A local FROG
Also found some other interesting tracks
View attachment 9736Possible water rat hinds although not sure as the two outer fingers appear to long from these pics
View attachment 9737These tracks the only ones in area were at 90deg to a large dog track running straight pass to the right from bottom to top of these 5 prints

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
Hairyman That was my thoughts aswell then I noticed all the claws were in same direction throwing doubt.
Also I found this I believe they call it a Beaconite, made by a burrowing arthropods possibly pillbugs or the likes. Unlike in the pic the trail is raised and about 1cm-1.5cm in width.
View attachment 9739