Railtrails Australia.

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Website dedicated to the many railtrails throughout Australia.
http://www.railtrails.org.au/
Railtrails, according to the site "are shared-use paths recycled from abandoned railway corridors. Usually managed by local councils for the enjoyment of the general public, rail trails can be used for a range of purposes including walking, cycling and horse riding."

Last edited:

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
I know they are still lifting rail thru our area even though by the site it would appear to be opening . Great idea will be interested in seeing if they put camping sites along routes or do you have to use town public sites

Last edited:

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Would be good to walk a section or two, though if the weeds are too high it could get unpleasant.

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Hairyman, thanks for that.
There's a couple of those around here including the Denmark-Nornalup rail trail which I have cyclede a few kms of but didn't realise was 54km long, the Torbay to Elleker rail trail 8km and, a bit further out the Hopetoun-Ravensthorpe rail trail which is 39km. Add into that the Munda Biddi bike trail and the Bibbulmun and I've got my next few years of walks sorted. Wohoo.
Cheers
Bloffy

Mickldo

Ray Mears
Reaction score
That is cool. There are a couple of abandoned rail lines around here I want to explore. They aren't on the list yet but hopefully they will do something with it soon.

One I want to do locally is the old "Mary-Ann's" railway line from Poverty Point in Tin Can Bay up through to the rainforest along the King's Bore Track/ Pettigrew's Road area near Double Island Point. The "Mary-Ann" was the first train made by Walker's Engineering (Now EDI) in Maryborough. There is a replica that takes tourists for joyrides through the local park on market days and some weekends. The train used to take timber from the rainforest up near King's Bore Track down to the jetty at Poverty Point where it was transported by barge up through the Sandy Straits and the Mary River up to Maryborough where it was milled. The railway tracks were made entirely of timber, the sleepers and the rails. At Poverty Point you can still see the remains of the jetty and some of the sleepers. Apparently you can also spot the rail cuttings along the Kings Bore Track if you know where to look but I haven't found any yet despite numerous 4wd and trailbike trips through the area. I'd like to start at Poverty Point and see how far you can follow the the old line on foot. I am also on the lookout for some old maps of the area so I can see if I can work out the original route of the rail line to make it a bit easier to follow it.

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
An all timber raiway line, amazing.
I wonder how the two steam cane locos in North Bundy went in the recent floods?

Redtail

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Hairyman, thanks for that.
There's a couple of those around here including the Denmark-Nornalup rail trail which I have cyclede a few kms of but didn't realise was 54km long, the Torbay to Elleker rail trail 8km and, a bit further out the Hopetoun-Ravensthorpe rail trail which is 39km. Add into that the Munda Biddi bike trail and the Bibbulmun and I've got my next few years of walks sorted. Wohoo.
Cheers
Bloffy
Chunks of the Bibbulmun are on old railway forms, particularly around Dwellingup way.

And then there's this new track going in from Busselton to Augusta http://www.trailtalk.com.au/forum/topics/busselton-to-flinders-bay-rail-trail
... see the comments section for a link to the map.