quick drying pants

karl

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Hi,

Need some suggestions for quick drying and hard wearing pants! Jeans are f**** killing me.

biggles1024

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
I've been wearing a pair of these for a couple of year. Despite the cotton content, I forget the exact percentage but I think its less than 50%, they dry quite quickly. I find the pocket below the knee to be of no use to me and so removed them, keeping the material for patches. The price is right at $40.00 per pair, but I wouldn't buy from this website though. About a week ago, I stumbled across what is either this mob's eBay store or an online seller of the same products. Regardless, the price is the same, but they offer either free postage or free "Click and Collect" from Big W.
First website http://www.tga-online.com.au/mens-cargo-pants/
eBay seller http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/231835257670?var=531076500888&ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

Whatever you choose, ditching your jeans is a great idea and you won't look back after having done so.

Cheers,

b.

oncedisturbed

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
I recently got a few pairs from Rivers, their Hike-Tek label I think they're called.

Lightweight, small packing, quick drying and the leg bottoms can be removed to turn them into shorts

swampy99

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Personally I like the Craghopper trousers and I know some may scoff at the man but the Bear Grylls range with the Large knee and backside patches are very good and well thought out pair of troos. I wear mine now a lot in the summer they dry very quick and have a good range of movement in them. Shame they have BG's name on them.
All so I some Rail Rider troos ECO ones again lightweight dry quick very robust but a bit pricey with the exchange rate.

Redtail

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
+1 on Craghoppers. I wear the hiking pants and have gone to great lengths to try and damage them. So far, to no avail.
I haven't tried the BG branded type Swampy's referring to.
In that line, I can recommend Fjallraven's. Not cheap, but if you keep an eye on Massdrop or similar sites, you can pick them up at reasonable prices.

pap11y

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
My north face pants have served me very well.. They dry fast, are remarkably warm in cold winds and convert to shorts..

I'm very happy with them. I don't have experience with any other brands..

karl

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Couldn't find the rivers stuff either.

Some of the Craghoppers look interesting. Thanks for that. I have almost 'come off' cotton entirely and they are non-cotton. And they look 'normal'!

No way in hell am I going to buy something with the BG logo. That guy is an insult to anyone who ever ventured more than 10 metres from their couch!

swampy99

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
No way in hell am I going to buy something with the BG logo. That guy is an insult to anyone who ever ventured more than 10 metres from their couch!
I understand what you mean but when I looked at them they are a well thought out garment that is made for ease of movement. Some of the Craghoppers fleeces are good as well but the BG T shirts you are just paying for thr logo.

biggles1024

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Yup that's them, got both the khaki and black versions.

The Army rip stop shorts and pants are great items and getting to find here unless knock offs
The disadvantage with zip offs is that you need to find somewhere dry to sit, then (probably) need to remove your footwear, zip the trouser leg off, stow the trouser leg in your pack or somewhere else, then put your boots back on. The roll up style of trouser is more to my liking because it doesn't suffer any of the disadvantages of zip offs but doesn't provide as much cooling because you don't expose as much skin to the air. In addition, some people don't like the bulk of the rolled up trouser leg around their legs whilst they're walking. Any trousers can be made into roll ups which is also something to consider.

rurik

Walkabout
Reaction score
I don't mind the zip off leg style, I tend to find that I want the lower legs on or off. I don't tend to take them off just to cross something and then put them back on.

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Thanks Biggles. Pulled the trigger on two pairs of the khaki pants for $40 each and free freight and a bonus At that price I can keep a good pair and another for going bush (just don't mix em up).
Cheers
Bloffy

karl

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm still on the hunt. I got some cheap quick dry pants second hand (don't know what brand), decided to try them out and found it's actually not quite what I'm after. They were a LOT more comfortable in the wet than jeans but did they keep me warm? No. In summer I'm usually in board shorts (now that's quick dry!) but I need something for the colder months. I have icebreaker tops that keep me warm even when soaking wet, is there something equivalent in pants? I searched for wool pants and what I found is 1940s army surplus and manager type trousers.

Also, the other day at Kmart I found some $ 30 cordura tradie type pants. Any good?

I guess I'm being picky as I try to find pants that hold up outside and are 'acceptable' when I have to be social. I hate shopping and 'own' ten thousand different 'things'.

I suppose a pair of quick drying ones with polypro thermals underneath might do the trick. What do you think?

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Karl,

Cordura is basically canvas, so its probably going to be cold when wet.

A few friends of mine wear quick dry pants with poly thermals underneath, personally I find that uncomfortable.

Tunksy

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Whilst expensive, I've found 5.11's Taclite Pro pants to be quick drying, but you've gotta spend some decent time in water for the material to actually soak first!
After the rain from cyclone Debbie, I went knee deep through water for about 100m and it just sheds water.
Only mod I can think to do is adding elastic to blouse the hem and slow down any leeches or other crawlies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lazy J

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Agree with the craghoppers comments, I use their hiking trousers all the time and I've found their pretty good when going through lantana and bad scrub.

Foxtrot65

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Agree with the craghoppers comments, I use their hiking trousers all the time and I've found their pretty good when going through lantana and bad scrub.
I have a pair, they also have an anti insect repellent too which is handy, I don't bother with shorts out bush, too many ticks in summer and glad of the warmth in winter, mine came with a cool little dry bag for your phone too, the other hike pants I wear and absolutey love, are the ones which I think are based on Fjallravens and Anacondas own brand, they say they are semi water proof, tough as nails, loads pof pockets, optional gater/boot clips, axe/folding saw pocket and double knees (which Ive fashioned knee pads out of and old wet suit!) Cederberg is the brand, got mine on special for $40!!

swampy99

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
I have a pair, they also have an anti insect repellent too which is handy, I don't bother with shorts out bush, too many ticks in summer and glad of the warmth in winter, mine came with a cool little dry bag for your phone too, the other hike pants I wear and absolutey love, are the ones which I think are based on Fjallravens and Anacondas own brand, they say they are semi water proof, tough as nails, loads pof pockets, optional gater/boot clips, axe/folding saw pocket and double knees (which Ive fashioned knee pads out of and old wet suit!) Cederberg is the brand, got mine on special for $40!!
I have these troos as well and had them on for my time in Nepal but I must say after day 6 in the heat and dirt of the Kathmandu valley they did start to honk a bit but other than that a quick river crossing sorted that problem out.