QLD Meet Aftermath, Brooyar State Forest

AussiePreppers

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
A big thumbs up to all who made it to the meet - was great to see some new faces and meet up with everyone again. I thought i'd kick off a thread for everyone to post their pics in.

After pimping out our campsite with a billy hook and spatula featuring a patented oil drain, we spent quite some time trying to find the Brooyar Rock Shelter to see if we could locate any stone tool usage or otherwise. The information on the shelter is fairly detailed but trying to find it was a huge challenge - the maps and location description weren't as good as the other info. We eventually found two shelters but we're unsure if they are the one described in the writeup. We found some really cool evidence of stone tools in the area, which i'm sure will be posted below.

The final tally was Auscraft, Hairyman, Corin, Hillbilly, NoBSSurvival, and myself. We got to see some fantastic man-made and natural views, did a lot of walking, plant ID, cordage trialing, hand drills, and plenty of other stuff.

Here Corin works on the spatula, using boiling water to impart a nice bend in the wood.

Last edited:

Doc

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
I have been looking forward to reading this trip report. Sounds like a good trip.

Camp chairs - now that's luxury!

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Another great Meet, put a few more names to faces and put in a few bush miles looking
for the rockshelter. Thanks to all who attended for their good company.
DSCF9069 (640x513).jpg
DSCF9077 (640x477).jpg
DSCF9094 (640x480).jpg
DSCF9101 (640x464).jpg

Last edited:

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
DSCF9081 (640x537).jpg
Auscraft found this Brushtailed Possum in a hollow log.
DSCF9123 (640x515).jpg
Corin collecting dead cabbage palm stems for cordage.
DSCF9158 (640x480).jpg
There was a scatter of grey chert shards under some of the overhangs we investigated.
We left them where we found them.
DSCF9148 (640x479).jpg
Another overhang, quite dry despite the drizzling rain all morning.

Last edited:

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
That's a big paw print. Wild dogs? Tigers? A dragon?
Yes , I was impressed by the size of this print, wild dogs or perhaps someone's pig dogs hunting
along the roads.
DSCF9085 (640x480).jpg
Quoll scat? It had feathers in it and was at the entrance to what looked like a den in a rock overhang.
DSCF9113 (640x494).jpg
Dockrillia spp? Tick or thumbnail orchid.
DSCF9116 (640x480).jpg

Last edited:

hillbilly

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
It was great to catch up with you guys and put faces the the names. Learning a few new things, climbing around the cliffs in the rain was fun as i do like rock hopping. Thanks Guys.

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this, looks like you had a lot of fun.

john

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
i so wanted to be there , i can see how much i missed out on learning from you guy's, cash flow prob at present .:(

AT&NTW#QF00010

Last edited:

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
It was a fantastic weekend with only Sunday having a lite set in rain.
Corin started to carve a spoon early Saturday till I requested a egg flipper (forgot to bring one) so it actually became a working tool and it worked a treat.
The time there was very relaxing and enjoyable both on the walks and around the camp.
I would like to say thanks to all who attended and special thanks to Corin for suggesting a meet while he was in Brisbane during a very hectic work schedule.

Last edited:

Mickldo

Ray Mears
Reaction score
I so wanted to be there and I planned on dropping in on my way home from the Camping show in Brisvegas but I woke up with my shoulder and neck all stiff and sore from sleeping in a bloody uncomfortable bed. It was so bad I am still in pain now, even after numerous massages and pain relief.

It looks like you all had a great time. I need to know more about the rock shelter. I have spent quite a bit of time in the area before but this is the first I have heard of it.

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Mick, here's a link for the rockshelter info from another thread if you missed it.http://www.atsis.uq.edu.au/qar/1988005133160.pdf
Not sure we found that same rockshelter but we did see evidence in the form of grey chert shards in two of the overhangs
we climbed down to. Probably there are a lot of other overhangs in the area that were used by Aboriginal people.
I'm keen to go back again at some time in the near future.

hillbilly

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
It was very interesting looking at pieces of rock that held history from a early history of our land, really makes you think about the traditional ways they survived to make tools from simple stones. Something i hadn't done before but did catch my imaginaton.

Mickldo

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Mick, here's a link for the rockshelter info from another thread if you missed it.http://www.atsis.uq.edu.au/qar/1988005133160.pdf
Not sure we found that same rockshelter but we did see evidence in the form of grey chert shards in two of the overhangs
we climbed down to. Probably there are a lot of other overhangs in the area that were used by Aboriginal people.
I'm keen to go back again at some time in the near future.
Thanks for that Hairyman. I wouldn't mind trying to find that too. I have hiked cross country through that area and I have done quite a bit of abseiling and rock climbing all around that area. There are definitely quite a few overhangs all through the region.

Greatbloke

Jack Abasalom
Reaction score
Thanks all for sharing. Glad to hear of another successful trip, even if you weren't sure of finding the right rock shelter. I enjoyed the photos and I can handle more photos if you have more. Camp set up, or whatever.

Cheers.

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Thanks all for sharing. Glad to hear of another successful trip, even if you weren't sure of finding the right rock shelter. I enjoyed the photos and I can handle more photos if you have more. Camp set up, or whatever.

Cheers.
We camped in the public campground at Glastonbury, set up was a hammock, two tents, a fly with a bivibag (I think)
and a tarp and swag. I didn't think to take any pics of this.
Here are a couple pics more from our walks.
This sandstone rock caught my attention as it had a series of parallel grooves of varying depths. The only way I could think
of that enough force to do this in nature is if multi ton slabs of sandstone grinding past one another, either in an earthquake
or as the escarpment fell to pieces as it erodes away or maybe glaciation.
DSCF9146 (640x480).jpg
Another view of the chert blades/shards exposed on the dripline of the overhang.
DSCF9139 (640x480).jpg
Possible small fossil in sandstone.
DSCF9115 (640x502).jpg
A tunnel like cave within the main overhang, in places the floor was built up with small bones, probably bats.
DSCF9151 (640x480).jpg