BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Puukko

old4570

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Puukko.jpg

Big Sorry - Video lacks audio !

Factory Edge returned some 50 slices on the rope .
Factory edge was Fubar !

Don't know who ground the edge , but a seriously poor effort .
The edge snakes and has dips or valleys ..
So I put it on the Wet Stone Grinder ( included a little video of me grinding a new edge - in the video )
Still not 100% , cos the factory edge was FUBAR .
I ground off as much steel as I dare ( Years of use ) , but still bad ju ju left behind .

Anyways , ground edge returned some 300 slices of rope .. And suddenly stopped .

Stropping the edge - There was a fair bit of crunching - Did the edge develop a micro roll ?
Didn't take much strop to restore the edge .. Was it burrish ? / did it maybe roll a bur ? hmmm ...
I may have to revisit this knife .. ( revisit the rope )

Sheath is from a Sydney seller .. ( ? if he makes them - as I have seen a very similar sheath sold in Russia ) = Great minds think alike ?
Anyways , for a Mora but fits the Puukko just fine if not a little tight = Better than lose .

They call this knife a Garberg Killer (?) , yeah , I'm not buying a Overpriced Garberg unless I win the lottery or something .
Butt ! Is it that good , to be called a Garberg killer ?

A) Comfortable to hold
B) Fits a Mora Sheath
C) Not super expensive if ordered direct
D) Value for money - For now I would call it average .
E) Factory edge was poor / poorly ground and performed poorly
F) For a first knife or for Noobs - Not recommended !

If your a collector , if you have to have one and you know how to put down a edge - Sure , go for it !
But dont expect this to be like a Mora - Out of the box performance .
I saw a Mora for $25 + Free shipping , so had to order it .
I have Mora's going back to the 70's . so plan on doing a Mora Shoot Out .
Old VS New
Micro bevel VS SCandi
SS VS Carbon
Something like that ...

Last edited:

Randall

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
That's a pity, but it is what it is. They are popular knives with many people; that has nothing to do with your findings. Thanks for the review.

I have one heavy fixed blade, similar to your kubey. It's also D2. I've never used it, but have sharpened it. I keep it, but as things are don't have a use for it. It is the sort of thing that would be indispensable in different circumstances, so I keep it :). It's a relatively cheap but well regarded knife - the bevel on mine is now much shallower

hx outdoors d2 td01.jpg

old4570

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Probably very rare for people to actually test their knives in the general community .
I went a good 40 something years before I bothered to do any sort of edge retention testing .
It be a very serious eye opener for sure .
I have $10 knives that kick $100+ knives to the curb .
And such a brutal reality check can be somewhat disconcerting in regards to shelling out $$ for what might be a seriously bogus product .

We all have fond memories of our favourite knives , Remington - Case - Mora - Victorinox - and so forth .
But , where in reality do those knives stand ? ( Performance wise )
I did test some of the knives I used to carry ( when it was legal ) a while back . And it was my intention to continue to test those old knives of mine I either took to work our out into the field . ( That big reality check )

Not saying people have to know , but that's where I am at ! ( I have to know )
How a knife looks - feels - is bolted together - No longer cuts it for me . Now I have to know how it performs .