Protect against coldness, originally from the NorwayArmy: Fjellduk/Jerven

Bush-Mate

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Hey Mates,

for some days ago, we had on the German Survival Group a interesting discussion about Norway Fjellduk/Jerven....and two top BC-Mates recommend this....Types of guys you can trust...!

You can use a Fjellduk as a Poncho, Tarp, Biwaksack or even Sleeping bag or to protect you against Coldness - so hypothermia. You can buy this stuff in different types (Primaloft etc.).

Do you know this stuff? What do you think about it?

Here 2 links, the First from Suomi (Finland) in English...the second from a German Site to see better Pics......

http://www.varusteleka.fi/en/product/jerven-fjellduken-extreme-multi-purpose-tarp-sleeping-bag/22621

http://www.sackundpack.de/product_info.php?products_id=1291

Cheers

Ralf

PS: At the moment I have had to much trouble in my life, would wish to write more here....!

pap11y

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
I like the multi use aspect of this type of thing. Thanks for posting, I can see it would be useful.

Hope your troubles are less soon.

Bush-Mate

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Hey @ all,

thx for your posts.

Thx for the link as well (very funny, I saw a Video from Sepp Waldhandwerk, FB-Friend of mine-cool Bro), Scandi-Folk mostly cool types of Mates.

The one here in Germany he had recommend is a passing by homeless Guy and travelled with his Canoe 1.500 Km through half Europe. Deep Respect for him and he really know what he is talking about. He use the Fjellduk as only solution.

The problems I see, that this thing can not one thing pretty good. For every Single Cases you can choose better solutions, especially if you have to carry it for long Distances.

But for rough Terrain, Mountains-BC-Militäry-Hunting-WD/Action-Canoeing pretty good thing.

So the second link from me is a thinner Fjellduk as the one from Suomi. So weight is lighter you can hike lighter :eek:kkiale:!

I wrote a introduction in a German little Survival Forum as well and the most of the Germans are not to excited about this stuff. But in this Forum the most of the members came from the Trekking/Hiking Scene, not really Bushcrafters.

(I move by myself in differnt scenes like Bushcraft-(UL) Hiking-Trekking-Backpacking-Travelling and I mean to notice that many of this different people have not enough Basic Knowledge in the entirety although they are moving nearly in the same environment.)

But typical for Germans we are like to be over prepared.....:non sono stato io:!

Maybe anyone here have experiences and want to share it, it would be nice.

All the best meanwhile!

Cheers

Ralf

@ Pap: trouble with my injury with my damaged right Arm, should take 3 x times per day pain killers (got a Zombie then). The story with the knife..do you remember..!

Last edited:

Yawara

Russell Coight
Reaction score
I have the Jerven king size.Its a large padded model which two people can fit inside.When out in the forest I use it as a ground mat to sit on,also during winter as a break jacket to keep warm,last winter it kept me nice and warm during a -30c weather while outdoors.Great also during hunting season as a hide and to keep me warm waiting for wild game.

I throw it the car when travelling.Me and the wife will be visiting Sydney next month and we will be visiting the Blue Mountains for two days,I will bring the Jerven with us.
I really like it and it is hands down my favorite outdoor kit,I don't use it as a tarp but it can be if needed too.oh I live in Finland btw ��

Last edited:

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Yawara, I've seen video of Jerven in the past, but its good to hear a first hand account. They sound good.

Are you visiting Australia for a holiday, or here to live / work ?

Yawara

Russell Coight
Reaction score
We are visiting only as tourists.We have never been over there,looking forward to it:_applauso:

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
We are visiting only as tourists.We have never been over there,looking forward to it:_applauso:
Sounds like you'll have a great time - there are lots of nice places to walk and explore around the Blue Mountains.

If you come down to Melbourne, let me know