Proposed South Coast WA long(ish) weekend

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Okay, due to popular demand from some people of questionable sanity in the metro area, I'm going to hold a late Winter camp on the South Coast, just out of Albany.
Due to other commitments around then, I've set late Friday, August 30 - Sunday, September 1, or maybe out to Monday, September 2 as the date.
It WILL be cold, more than likely wet, probably windy and quite possibly all three. Told you they were nuts.
Anywho, the FREE site is at Torbay, right on the edge of the inlet with the campsites probably less than 500m from the mouth on the Southern Ocean.
It is easily accessible by 2WD but 4WD would be good for a run up or down the beach if you want. There are plenty of good trees around for us tree hangers, as well as flat ground for land huggers.
There is a long drop toilet but no readily available drinking water apart from what we can harvest ourselves (which probably won't be a big problem....).
The Bibbulmun Track, one of the longest continuous walks in the world, passes pretty close by and would make for a great walk and the Munda Bindi mountain bike trail is at nearby Elleker.
One of the biggest drawbacks is there are no fires allowed but I will see if I can pull some strings in between times.
So bring your fishing lines, kayaks, canoes, mountain bikes and bushcrafting items for a wet and wild weekend.
To whet your appetite, here's a couple of pics from just near the campsite.

DSC_0002.jpg
The campsite

DSC_0003.jpg
No more than 50m from the campsite

DSC_0004.jpg
Looking North. A couple of blokes were fishing just over the river and pulling in a mix of skippy, herring and bream. All were a bit small and were going back but they were there.

DSC_0005.jpg
Looking South. The beach is just out of view.

So hopefully a few of you silly buggas who LIKE getting cold, wet and blown away will want to make the long trip south (Make a change to me having to head north).
PM me or answer here and I'll get a list going.
Phew, that was a hard sell.
Cheers
Bloffy

UPDATE:
Roll call:
Bloffy
Thrud

Last edited:

uneekwahn

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
The day I graced the earth is celebrated on 31 August!

I'll see if I can persuade the Minister for Finance and War to allow me some time off. Might have to book her, the baby and the dog into somewhere down there for the weekend.

Any suggestions bloffy?

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I am keen. I would probably look at heading down early.
Have to clear with the commander.

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
@ Uneekwahn: it's only a birthday...you've had plenty of them. Lol. How could she refuse when she's staying at one of the premiere tourist destinations in Australia, enjoying wine tours, chocolate factory, icecreamery etc
@ Doc: not in the inlet, I would think but any fresh water might be a goer. Only one way to find out.
@ Thrud: of course she'll say yes. How could she say no to a nice bloke like you...
@ Redtail: be a shame if you can't make it but I understand. It will take you to September to consolidate two packs down to one. .....
That's the silly buggas sorted. Now how about the rest of you Sandgropers? Let's hear from the rest of you.
Cheers
Bloffy

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
OK all you Western Australians, time to rug up, harden up and work on getting yourself down here for this trip.
It should be pretty good and the more we have, the better it will be.
https://maps.google.com.au/maps?sad...irflg=b&mra=ltm&via=1,2,3,4&t=m&z=12&lci=bike

Don't worry about the time frame, for some reason I couldn't show the map in vehicle mode. It is about 27km from the main roundabout.
Any questions, PM or post here.
Cheers
Bloffy

Doc

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Looks good Bloffy. Uneekwahn, Thrud, Browny & myself have done our inclement weather training after the WA meet last weekend (gale force winds, cold and lashing rain).

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I'm in.
Strangely, when we were down there on holiday in February, one arvo I went out for a walk because no one wanted to and drove toward West Cape Howe, I took a left off the road and wound up at Perkins beach. I walked up past the Torbay inlet to just short of Shelter island and then back. Truly spectacular views especially looking east down to WCH.

We'll have to have a walk on WCH.

Looking forward to it, especially as I've got an under quilt coming from JRB and won't get vapour lock anymore.

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Looks good Bloffy. Uneekwahn, Thrud, Browny & myself have done our inclement weather training after the WA meet last weekend (gale force winds, cold and lashing rain).
That little passing squall?!? You ain't seen nothing yet. It's not classed as a shower down here until there's two inches in the gauge and it ain't windy until it blows the wool off a sheep's back. (incidentally there are a lot of naked sheep around here - and we won't even talk about the leaning cows.) lol. Good to see the usual crazies On board. Browny, you better make a show mate. I'm starting to think you're Unekwaan's version of Drop Dead Fred ;-) . Okay, where's the rest of you? How about Lisa or Bods, AB or MDU?
Cheers
Bloffy

Doc

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
That little passing squall?!? You ain't seen nothing yet. It's not classed as a shower down here until there's two inches in the gauge and it ain't windy until it blows the wool off a sheep's back. (incidentally there are a lot of naked sheep around here - and we won't even talk about the leaning cows.) lol. Good to see the usual crazies On board. Browny, you better make a show mate. I'm starting to think you're Unekwaan's version of Drop Dead Fred ;-) . Okay, where's the rest of you? How about Lisa or Bods, AB or MDU?
Cheers
Bloffy

Naked sheep, hey:non sono stato io:

Redtail

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Ah, West Cape Howe. They make a nice red.
One of my first outings in my Disco, I pulled up atop the cliffs there to take in the view. Howling southerly. For some reason I opened the back tailgate. Damn near wrapped it around the car. Had to remove the bottom hinge to get the door closed again, and spent the rest of the trip getting gear out via the rear passenger doors.
That's a nice spot down there, young Bloffy. Depending on the date, I may just show up.

Browny

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
I do beleive I have driven to this spot once or twice.
Never stayed there though.
Lovely part of the world, just gotta pack the warm gear and the fishing tackle, I know what we are doing for provisions at least one night. (hopefully not eating the bait)

I'm keen as mustard for this, gotta make up for my late arrival at the last gathering.

Are we car pooling fellas? I don't trust my snot box to make it and I no longer own a murdercycle. (would have been a good ride too)

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I may borrow the Misusssss's Territory, I am probably looking at heading down on Thursday or Friday early...

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Just looking at street view on the Google maps of the directions you sent. If you travel back from the campsite along the road for about a K , you can see where the Google Maps car drove straight past some poor bugger with the bonnet up at the side of the road. Google might stop you getting lost, but if you are stranded, well...

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Ok, less than two weeks now. Let's start firming up some numbers.
Who's in? Who's out?
Who wants to leave it to the very last minute?
By the way, did you see we had snow the other day? I was out paddling on a balmy warm morning and it sleeted and hailed. Love the fine weather days.....
Cheers
Bloffy

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I'm in, Uneekwahn and Doc cannot go (too cold for them.....) prob heading down late Thursday or early Friday

Doc

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Bloffy, sorry I will not be able to make the weekend. I have just started a large offshore project in the NW and will be away until the first week in September. I am bummed at missing this weekend:piange: