BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pre trapping preparation

Jeepcreep

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
F0F6AFBF-AE39-4CA4-9212-AF2C15CCFC80_zpsehzw60se.jpg
[/URL]
Who knows when you may need to make a go of it in the bush, a little preparation will free you up for other important task in an emergency. My fondness of primitive traps have led me to decide on two,no more than three type of traps/ trigger systems.The top 4 in the pick are spring pole style trigger traps, the bottom 4 are figure four triggers.
I pre make ten of each style, and store them in my packs, this will allow me to quickly set a trap line , allowing them to be working while I do other important task.I am currently working on a third trigger system that will be simple to construct , and maintain. I personally believe one needs to learn as many types of trigger systems, but in a real situation only use two or three types, this will keep it simple, quick, and efficient .

pap11y

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
My thoughts.. Just be careful doing this... If a ranger found that on you he could make the assumption that your purpose is to trap and how can you prove they are only for emergency....?

Good work on the traps though..

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
You may want to store them somewhere else so they don't pick up too much scent. We used to bury hazel pegs when snaring rabbits in the UK. You want to maximise your chances of attracting game.

Jeepcreep

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
My thoughts.. Just be careful doing this... If a ranger found that on you he could make the assumption that your purpose is to trap and how can you prove they are only for emergency....?

Good work on the traps though..
You are correct ,many places these are illegal to use.I often spend quiet evenings constucting many different variations of trigger styles,setting them is when they become illegal.I would hope that everyone know the law where they live,and obeys them.One thing is certain,build enough so they are imprinted in your mind,that can never be taken away.I suppose the other option would be to steal food ,which is also illegal !hopefully it never comes to any of that.

Aussie Forager CQ

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Jeepcreep, I would be keen to see some pics of your set traps (display obviously) if you ever get the time. I know the 4 and spring pole traps but it would be great to see your fine tuned specific designs. Every one seems to have specific little differences they employ and it would be great to see what you have come up with in your experiences....

Also what's your thoughts in the promontory peg trigger? Would pack well for the purpose of pre packaging.....

Jeepcreep

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I will set them up on display as soon as I can.As far as the promontory trigger goes,it is a great trigger,and touchy,It is also perhaps one of the simplistic to construct.There are many trigger variations,the trick is finding the ones that meets the requirements of each individual .
I am tossing an idea around in my head about building a work station where each trap/ trigger design can be tested and refined on the bench,this would allow for fine tuning at home instead of the field ( good for those bad weather blues when you can't get out ).i suppose I need to write a disclaimer,check your local laws,most if not all primitive traps are illegal to set in the field .The work station is not my idea,I once saw one on u- tube,but for the life of me,I can't find it now,I will have to build it through trial and error ( memory) so near with me on that one.

Aussie Forager CQ

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
I will set them up on display as soon as I can.As far as the promontory trigger goes,it is a great trigger,and touchy,It is also perhaps one of the simplistic to construct.There are many trigger variations,the trick is finding the ones that meets the requirements of each individual .
I am tossing an idea around in my head about building a work station where each trap/ trigger design can be tested and refined on the bench,this would allow for fine tuning at home instead of the field ( good for those bad weather blues when you can't get out ).i suppose I need to write a disclaimer,check your local laws,most if not all primitive traps are illegal to set in the field .The work station is not my idea,I once saw one on u- tube,but for the life of me,I can't find it now,I will have to build it through trial and error ( memory) so near with me on that one.

Sounds good mate, looking forward to watching the process. I think a work station makes a lot of sense.

Jeepcreep

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
EA7F5A3E-7401-4C7D-9AA2-2DA595156661_zpsnzstmdqx.jpg
[/URL]
I put this demo together to give an idea of what I'm doing.I strongly believe In learning all one can about primitive traps, but I also believe to be efficient in an emergency, you should keep things simple .I will pick three of my favorite sets, and, be able to test and demo each from one station. By doing this it Will let me test each pre made trigger and bait stick ,allowing me to make adjustments at home instead of the field.
My other goal is to use the demo board to demonstrate different sets for an outdoor class I will be teaching at a local school.If the
demo board works like I plan , I will construct a refined ( neater ) board for the classroom.

Joe

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Looks great! I wonder if there is a material like a foam or rubber that would allow pegs to be placed at different locations for varied setups? I love the idea of a desktop demo board, nice work.

Jeepcreep

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Looks great! I wonder if there is a material like a foam or rubber that would allow pegs to be placed at different locations for varied setups? I love the idea of a desktop demo board, nice work.
The original board I seen was much like mine,holes will be drilled in various locations for a variety of sets.I taper the pegs ,and twist them as I shove them in,believe me,they are very snug,just be sure to shave the bark off the pegs ,this will prevent bark slippage resulting in a dislodge.
I may paint the base board if it will help the trap parts stand out better.The engine is a fiberglass rod,it is inserted into a smaller predrilled hole,so far,it is impossible to remove.

Jeepcreep

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Thanks,I hope some of you make your version so I can upgrade from your ideas.

Le Loup

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
I put this demo together to give an idea of what I'm doing.I strongly believe In learning all one can about primitive traps, but I also believe to be efficient in an emergency, you should keep things simple .I will pick three of my favorite sets, and, be able to test and demo each from one station. By doing this it Will let me test each pre made trigger and bait stick ,allowing me to make adjustments at home instead of the field.
My other goal is to use the demo board to demonstrate different sets for an outdoor class I will be teaching at a local school.If the
demo board works like I plan , I will construct a refined ( neater ) board for the classroom.

Excellent display JC, well done.
Keith.