Pre-packaged food and mystery meat

n5750547

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Evening everyone

This is not technically bush tucker but I wanted to know what kind of easy meals (just add water) you have when you are out. As a rookie with plant ID there is no way I'm eating plants along the trail, at least not for a while yet.

A bit of variety from my usual Continental pastas and risotto would be nice even though I find them satisfying. I've looked at dehydrating my own meals and I think that is definately something I'll try soon.

Here are a couple of tasty looking options from IGA as well as some SPAM which I'm scared to but interested in giving a go.

Any ideas or advice would be appreciated!

Cheers
Phil

Lepmeister

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Crack that's Spam out and give it a little fry, great for breakfast.... Just make sure you have some water as its a little salty.

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Corned beef hash on soas with sliced onion goes down well with a mug of tea.

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Crack that's Spam out and give it a little fry, great for breakfast.... Just make sure you have some water as its a little salty.
I'll second that. We used to fry it and have it between a couple of slices of bread. Tomato sauce is a good addition; but fried onion and mustard is good too .... basically treat it like a hot dog or hamburger

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Cous cous(ainsley Harriott), take it out of the box and write the amount of water on the packet. Instant noodles or Mee Goreng. If I've brought a frying pan along chorizo sliced and fried. If I haven't then I dice it and add to chorizo. Heinz bean s in a foil packet.
I use the camping meals as well on occasion, how tasty I remember them depends on how hungry I was!

Spam and Vikings!

n5750547

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
My SPAM fear has turned to excitement! I may even try the spam hash this weekend and see what the missus thinks of it.

Glad to have a bit of variety and some meat options other than tinned tuna. Cheers!

Redtail

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Cous cous(ainsley Harriott), take it out of the box and write the amount of water on the packet. Instant noodles or Mee Goreng. If I've brought a frying pan along chorizo sliced and fried. If I haven't then I dice it and add to chorizo. Heinz bean s in a foil packet.
I use the camping meals as well on occasion, how tasty I remember them depends on how hungry I was!

Spam and Vikings!
Albatross is excellent, too.

n5750547

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Albatross is excellent, too.
Can't believe I missed the reference.

Lobster Thermidor aux crevettes with a Mornay sauce, garnished in truffle pate, brandy and a fried egg on top, and SPAM

Swannie

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Last time I did an overnight I had a Contintental Carbonara, enhanced with some added Coles spam-analog, and a small tin of mushrooms in butter sauce - which helped make things tasty, and added some fat to stop things burning in my pan.

Good high calorie dinner, and much tastier than the Continental alone. Just missed out on some seasoning (pepper).

I was actually looking for the tinned chicken when I ended up with the spam-a-like.

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
i prefer the turkey spam over the "whatever is in it " spam.
SPAM = Spiced Ham.
Real Spam is a pork product with a mix of shoulder pork and ham meat, salt, water, potato starch, preservative.

There are many other "generic" spams and canned meats whose contents with may vary of course !

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Yum! How good is spam? :linguino:

On the topic of canned meat. Can you still get Bully beef or something like what the anzacs would have eaten? I have heard it was atrociously salty but would love to find out for myself. I have always wanted to taste it :)

bobmouse

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
thanks. thought it was pork in it. but the same people who make it have a turkey version which is a lot milder.

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Yum! How good is spam? :linguino:

On the topic of canned meat. Can you still get Bully beef or something like what the anzacs would have eaten? I have heard it was atrociously salty but would love to find out for myself. I have always wanted to taste it :)
Pretty sure its the same or similar to Hamper brand cornered beef, it says since 1905 on the tin. Species probably varied in the Anzacs 'beef' though.

Arwon

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
I always found the packaged stuff tasted awful and never satisfied my hunger, spam is ok, sausages, steak are better, you can freeze the meat then wrap in newspaper, it keeps for some time, depends on how long you are going, dried things need water

n5750547

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
I always found the packaged stuff tasted awful and never satisfied my hunger, spam is ok, sausages, steak are better, you can freeze the meat then wrap in newspaper, it keeps for some time, depends on how long you are going, dried things need water
Your right, the packaged food is no good compared to real food but it does taste ten times better when you are starving! I have eaten more uncooked packets of mi goreng than I probably should admit to