Post your crafted yabbie/shrimp pots.

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
At Corin's suggestion this last weekend, we had a bit of a comp to see who could make a trap from
natural materials (bar cordage) to catch yabbies.
Here was my attempt made from the hession like base of a cabbage palm (Livingstonia australis)
With about six bases I made a rough cone with a rock bound in one end for ballast then the bait (fruit stick)
then a scrunched up base then a smaller rock. Tossed in the creek overnight and checked the next day, the bait was gone
and so was the yabbie, perhaps I should have checked it sooner, but a case of the big one that got away.
Corin managed to catch a couple of shrimps in a small branch with meat for bait.
DSCF9125 (453x640).jpg
DSCF9135 (640x480).jpg
DSCF9134 (640x480).jpg

Keen to see anyone elses creations.

Last edited:

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
I've never tried this, very creative. I look forward to seeing everyones photos

AussiePreppers

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
No photos, but mine was the common bunch of grass with the meat in the middle, with a few sticks around the outside parallel to the grass loosely tied around the top and bottom. I submerged mine under a large root instead of a rock inside. My bait had been ravaged and nothing tasty left inside.

I did want to try a hollow log with a rock wedged in one end but couldn't find a suitable log.

Mickldo

Ray Mears
Reaction score
I know its not purely bushcrafting but I had a patrol of scouts on a hike recently and after dinner they were looking for something to do. I had noticed an old coke bottle down by the creek so we made a yabbie trap from it and then we all went down and caught a heap of shrimps in it. The kids loved doing it so much they all went scouring the bush for more rubbish to make their own traps. Unfortunately the place was heavily littered so we were able to make a trap for each of them. The next morning we did a clean up of the area and took all the rubbish we found out with us. They all had an absolute ball catching the shrimps. So much so that they keep on asking me if we can organise another yabbying camp!