Pocket knives, multitools and other non-fixed blade knives you carry

barra650

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I usually have a couple of knives beside me to play with when watching a bit of the TV. Having a box full beside me would be like choosing a chocolate from a box of Cadbury's milk tray , which one should I have next . (y)

Randall

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Yes, waveman made me laugh too :) Choose my favorite five flippers :) Although I can't laugh too much, I've actually got 3 :ROFLMAO:. And, after seeing the luxury that your knives live in Waveman, I've put some rubber non slip mat on the bottom of my knife drawer. And Kindling, I've also got a knife like that. It's one of a few that I inherited from Dad. I also had the same sort of knife when I was a kid.

Randall

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
I've ordered from bradford knives a guardian g3 sheepsfoot. My preference is to buy locally, but bradford's have a limited run of some of their knives in vanadis 4e for not much extra. I still don't know much about the steel - for sure it is overkill for me. I'll probably sharpen it once after 2 years - I strop now which has really extended the need for sharpening my knives, even those with cheap steel. I have seen a video where a dude battoned through a thick piece of wire that was resting on a small section of train rail with no visible nick or folding in the blade! He then sliced through paper, past the part of the blade (you could see a mark on the blade) and it was nice and smooth the whole way. The guy looks poor and the knife looks expensive - I don't understand why people do that stuff. I couldn't bring myself to do it. In reality a few cheap knives should suit me, but....I may have a problem. It's a small knife, 3" cutting edge. It's coming with a kydex sheath and a g clip so I can wear it horizontal on a belt or even a waistband of shorts etc. Vanadis isn't stainless, so I have ordered the dlc (diamond like coating) mainly for rust protection beneath the scales. The picture shows what my knife should look like (yes, I'm getting patriot blue which should make it easy to find when it is left on the ground - that will happen sooner or later). Now I just have to wait and hope I get a good copy with no dramas. And I want this to be my last knife purchase, or I'm going to start a knives anonymous group.

And, I got an email from Brad! It's funny after reading all the reviews of his knives and how well liked they are to get an email from the man himself.

Last edited:

Randall

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Streuth! I only ordered it late yesterday and they've already sent it off.

Randall

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
I was looking through the adventure room for some fresnel lenses I bought off ebay, and found another one of Dad's knives that I wasn't aware of. I can find no information on it or even a picture on the web. It is a bunny knife. Dad used to use bunny knives from Joseph rogers and Stanley rogers or both or maybe just Joseph, I can't remember. Stanley might have just been into kitchen cutlery. Anyway, on one side of the blade is "BUNNY" and underneat that "Hand made Germany". And on the choil " Ernst G." This is on top of a symbol, a crown atop a set of wings. On the opposite side on the choil, "EUROCUT SOLINGEN GERMANY" - those words are set out in one column, three rows. The blade is 66mm (to the handle), the handle is 84mm - 150mm overall. Wooden scales, very slim (1cm). I'll post some pictures soon. Found some pictures, very close; the knife I have is slightly different blade profile and one less pin - mine doesn't have the pin on the left end; other pin placements look the same. Because of this, I'm guessing mine is an older model. From the site I pinched the photos from, "Ernst G." is most likely a merchant name, and Friedrich Olbertz is the manufacturer. Even when I try to stop collecting knives...

Last edited:

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
As most of you know, I think my Victorinox Soldier is the bomb.
It has a great design, sits well in my hand and does pretty much everything you could ask of it, plus some. The saw punches well above its weight, the phillips and flat blade screwdrivers work well and the bottle opener has never met a beer cap it can't beat. As a left hander, i love that it is easy to open (for me) but the antimollydukeans struggle a bit.
The blade would be better as a straight blade but I can live with it.
My biggest beef is with the awl. Particularly its lack of an eye.this would make it awesome.
So, my big question is, can you change them over and, if so, where would I source one and how do i do it?
Would welcome your feedback.
Cheers
Bloffy

Chigger

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
A SAK fan as well, the camper model does well for me. The awl on mine has the eye cut in it.

Last edited:

Totumpole

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Recently made some modifications to an opinel no. 9 Ive had for the best part of a decade. I'm not really a fan (aesthetically) of a clip point and don't see that it adds any functionality. I have also bent the very thin tip on more than 1 occasion, so bringing it back to some thicker stock will hopefully prevent that. Rounded off handle butt is very comfortable in the hand too. This knife mainly gets used for food prep - cannot be beaten for slicing and dicing!
IMG_3528.jpg