Pocket knives, multitools and other non-fixed blade knives you carry

Le Loup

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
I only carry an Opinel clasp knife at home, it does all I need to do from work in the garden to opening feed sacks.
Opinel Folding Knife 1 Reduced.jpg
I carry the larger version when I am trekking. I have had a lot of knives in my time, but I think the Opinel is the best clasp knife I have ever owned. Light, simple, locking.
Keith.

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Agreed. I carry one with a ferro rod attached on a piece of leather cord in a little pouch with an old HH silnylon tarp which folds down to nothing, a Sawyer filter and one of their scrunch up bottles and a length of (maybe) bankline that I scored/stole/secured. Oh, and a pen and a small notebook. Covers all the good little things I need as such.
Ch
Bloffy

Ben Dono

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Wow, that's a very impressive collection Wave Man. Hey did they changed the laws recently regarding wrist flick opening knives in OZ? Any recommendations on a decent one (that's code for cheap but not junk)? I had one when I was the dock boy at Kangaroo Tent City Many,many moons ago. Darn handy tool but it got pinched.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
Wow, that's a very impressive collection Wave Man. Hey did they changed the laws recently regarding wrist flick opening knives in OZ? Any recommendations on a decent one (that's code for cheap but not junk)? I had one when I was the dock boy at Kangaroo Tent City Many,many moons ago. Darn handy tool but it got pinched.
thanks mate, yes the law changed a while back, we can now import most one hand opening knives (except assisted opening and auto opening) without problems.

Concerning recommendations, from my collection any of the Real Steel or Ruike are quality folders at an affordable price. Both Real Steel and Ruike offer bearing pivot flippers that fire reliably and come with good blade steel (almost exclusively 14c28n for their budget line) and they mostly sell for between AUD$40-$100

Ben Dono

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
thanks mate, yes the law changed a while back, we can now import most one hand opening knives (except assisted opening and auto opening) without problems.

Concerning recommendations, from my collection any of the Real Steel or Ruike are quality folders at an affordable price. Both Real Steel and Ruike offer bearing pivot flippers that fire reliably and come with good blade steel (almost exclusively 14c28n for their budget line) and they mostly sell for between AUD$40-$100
Nice one Wave Man. Thanks for getting back to me with such a detailed response. I'm thinking the Ruike 841 has my name on it. Or maybe their gentleman's knife.. I think it's the 108 flipper. It's nice to see a little common sense come back into our laws again.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
not a problem mate. I don't have the 841 but do have the 108-SF. The Ruike 108-SF is a great 'gentleman's' knife. Of all my budget flippers I have it is among the best flippers, with a snappy action that doesn't disappoint. Here is some more detailed pics of the 108, including one of its lockup (which is very late around 90%)

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
just got these two knives in the last week or so (the ZT turned up today), WE Practic and ZT470. Happy with both purchases, with each offering a different experience and filling a different need in my collection.

Randall

Ray Mears
Reaction score
My EDC is a SAK Classic that's been with me for 20-something years, it's the original Classic with a small blade, scissors and nail file. The knife and scissors get used all the time but the nail file just wastes space so I would like to swap it for a second blade. It lives in a small pouch on my house keys and is small enough to go with me just about everywhere.

I also have an opinel 7 in with my first aid kit so it always goes with me on any hike.
Ah, also my old Leatherman but it doesn't really get used much and comes with me less and less because it's so darn heavy.
I have a few of these. I like the nail file and the tooth pick. Anything is useful with swiss army - you have to think "what can I use this for?". I rarely use it as a nail file, but it is a diamond file so good for filing plastic or wood or aluminium. Also, the file itself is a tool. I even use the pointy end to point things out on a map (never use my fingers for this unless it's laminated).

Randall

Ray Mears
Reaction score
The knife I've been using / carrying at home is thisganzo firebird.jpg

It's too heavy for out and about. It was my first recent knife purchase (within the last year) since I've recently become interested in knives. Knives and watches are my useful bling :) It is 440c, but good steel. I like this shape of blade. It is good quality, well made for a cheap price. I have been using it just to get familiar with every day knife skills - different safe ways of cutting things, sharpening, stropping, using the start of the blade etc. I have collected quite a few other knives, and rescued some older neglected ones too. I'll post some pictures of them one day, especially telstra supplied shelham knives. Dad had them still new and I inherited them (no one else wanted them). They have a wharncliffe blade I suppose. Very well made. And an old neglected shelham army clasp knife. I have ressurected the abused blade and lubed the pivots. I love it - very useful. I use the marlin spike on it for all sorts of things. And there's a thick lever / screw driver on the end - probably for servicing Lee enfield or slr rifles. Oh, knife in the picture is a Firebird F7551-CF. About au$30 from fasttech (their prices are in US) https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10029427/9628380-firebird-f7551-cf-stainless-steel-folding-knife

Last edited:

Randall

Ray Mears
Reaction score
WE and Ruike are getting a good reputation, or at least a popular following, esp in the US

Last edited:

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
WE and Ruike are getting a good reputation, or at least a popular following, esp in the US
and why wouldn't they? Both companies offer fantastic products and in Ruike's case at very reasonable cost (WE does too just not as much as Ruike). Though I will admit I don't carry any of my Ruikes anymore as my tastes and expectations for an EDC knife have progressed onto a more high end knife. But that is not to say I don't appreciate the likes of Ruike or Real Steel any less and I still remember that they are fantastic companies, and the likes of Real Steel produce some of the best priced high end knives available (with their "S" class)

Randall

Ray Mears
Reaction score
and why wouldn't they? Both companies offer fantastic products and in Ruike's case at very reasonable cost (WE does too just not as much as Ruike). Though I will admit I don't carry any of my Ruikes anymore as my tastes and expectations for an EDC knife have progressed onto a more high end knife. But that is not to say I don't appreciate the likes of Ruike or Real Steel any less and I still remember that they are fantastic companies, and the likes of Real Steel produce some of the best priced high end knives available (with their "S" class)
I really liked the look of the real steel bushcraft folder in D2. Too big and heavy for me, but a great looking functional knife.

bushcfrat-folder.jpg

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
I love Real Steel, great company. I have many of their products, but unfortunately not that particular one. I have always thought their fixed blade version, the Bushcrafter II would be a good knife and will get one eventually.

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I have the Bushcrafter, great knife. Idk how to link to the post I did in show off your knives, but it was on 25/1/18.

Well made, did notice a few tiny dings in the blade after whittling with it for the first time, but it seems to have held up fine after that as I put a micro-bevel on the scandi.

Last edited:

Randall

Ray Mears
Reaction score
I have the Bushcrafter, great knife. Idk how to link to the post I did in show off your knives, but it was on 25/1/18.

Well made, did notice a few tiny dings in the blade after whittling with it for the first time, but it seems to have held up fine after that as I put a micro-bevel on the scandi.
https://bushcraftoz.com/forums/showthread.php?37-Show-off-your-knife/page56&highlight=bushcraft

It doesn't look so big in your post :) . It really is a great blade shape. I haven't looked into sharpening D2 yet. Only one fixed blade in D2 which I haven't used, and some folders coming, which I will use. I've got all flat grinds - I like the look of them. I think I've read somewhere D2 prefers a toothy grind which I assume means don't go to too fine a stone. I imagine stropping would still be good.

Last edited:

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
This is my collection of knives in chronological order of me being given them or purchasing. The victorinox is the earliest surviving one , bought it some 40 years ago. Forgot the Opinel and a very old leather man which I found when going through Dad’s things.61E77AC8-6D76-4AE5-B1EA-93454B82BFA4.jpgDD2312E9-6629-4F16-B95B-815C5ECD6E47.jpg

Last edited: