Pocket knives, multitools and other non-fixed blade knives you carry

McGinnis

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Gerber Dime. Best multitool/keyring I've ever owned. I've got a Leatherman Supatool, but the best knife is the one you have with you, and the Dime is the perfect size for EDC.

Image stolen from Google.

The blisterpack opening tool on it is amazing, and is by far the most oft-used tool on the knife (apart from the bottle opener, perhaps).

Mine just broke after 5 or 6 years of abuse. I'll happily buy another.

bluebush2

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Here's a Leatherman PS4 that I modified in 2011 because I being fussy about what tools I wanted. After the obvious plain knife blade, my priorities were awl, scissors, pliers with a wire cutter, serrated blade or saw, and a screwdriver for my eyeglasses. I didn’t need larger screwdrivers, can or bottle openers, tweezers or files. I found a PS4 Squirt with Torx screw pivots. These were only made for a matter of months before the bolts were replaced by rivets. I got a cheap ratty riveted P4 from a US NTSA seizure, ground off the rivets and salvaged the awl and eyeglasses screwdriver. I substituted these for the larger screwdrivers/bottle opener on the PS4. I had to grind out a curve in the side to allow access to the fingernail slots. The saw blade came from an old Husky multi-tool. I use it as a super-aggressive serrated blade and for scaping timber to get shavings rather than actually attempting to saw with it. It needed a bush to fit the Leatherman pivot and I used a Dremel to grind the hinge end to the same profile as the Leatherman so it locked in place. I also deepened the fingernail groove on the plain knife blade on the PS4 to match the Husky blade. The pivot bolts were locked using nail polish (also good for screws in eyeglasses). The modded tool lives in my survival kit. Rather than consign the Leatherman file to the salvage box, I added a plastic handle to make a striker for a ferrocerium rod. The handle is made from two blade-breakers from cheap snap-blade box cutters.
PS4_mod_JD.jpg
These days there are so many more mini multi-tools around, I'm sure there'd be something fairly similar off the shelf. In fact there's a Gerber Dime on the desk in front of me.

T.C.

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
For work my folder is always my Leatherman Charge TTi
For urban carry I always have my SAK Explorer... love its tool set.
In the bush I carry a SAK Rangergrip 178

lever

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Interesting to hear what people are carrying. Can I ask what EDC "pocket knives" people are carrying without an actual knife? I don't want to get into a discussion about the legalities and what constitutes a valid reason for carrying a knife however I would like to be able to carry a multi function tool that may have, for example pliers, tweezers, screw drivers scissors etc without having to be concerned about getting stung by the police.

I am aware of some commercially available products and some knives that can be modified however would appreciate some views and details by people that have and use them. Cheers.

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
I carry a pocket knife with a blade, in a sheath on my belt more recently, or in my pocket in the past. It is the Victorinox Soldier. It is a tool of my trade or hobby and therefore I can carry it. Apart from boarding aircraft, etc with even tighter rules, I have carried a pocket knife most of my life and never been questioned once. I have even had it out for work around policemen and no concerns. I work in the recreation industry and it is necessary for many facets of my job. Quite funny really. The number of times my boss has said, have you got your knife on you Bloffy? I would use it as a part of my work two or three times a day. Whether it is sharpening pencils, making stakes, cutting cordage or rope or, as if often the case, utilising other tools on the knife such as the flat or philips head, awl, saw (very impressive) or otherwise. It's often how it is used as opposed to where IMHO. I am always discrete and will even turn my back if it is necessary.
Flash it around and trouble may follow.
I feel naked now without it and my other EDC bits n bobs (lip balm, hanky, cigarette lighter- I don't smoke)
Cheers
Bloffy
My two cents worth

Kindling

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I also carry the victorinox soldier almost everyday,
I use it often and throw in in my pocket , it doesn't have the pointy end knife blade so I figure it's less offensive in that way , however , I recently considered getting a leatherman skeletool for the reason of ever being questioned by the police etc ,
As I wander in and out of civilisation.
The skeletools attraction for me was the belt sheath ,
That its a multipurpose tool which might be less offensive , and they have a very nice sheep's foot type blade which I think can be deployed for use quickly with the thumb ,
And also its a lot lighter a model than other larger multi tools .
Still carrying the soldier around though as it works out.

rurik

Walkabout
Reaction score
How often are people actually questioned by police about knifes? I have been questioned twice and had one comment. Once was because I had a van full of swords and armour in the way home from a medieval event. The second time was when I was walking down the road with a sword on Anzac Day, I had a police officer ask me what I was up too, to which I replayed "just took it off my brother who was heading into a pub with it" to which I was thanked for being smart. BTW it was a RAAF sword and he is an officer. The third time I was on my way to a Scout Camp (in uniform) and the police officer said nice knife is that a Falkin.

So three pretty extream incidents. Never have they been because I had my Swiss Army knife in my pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T.C.

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I think it has a lot to do with where you live. I live in a rural farming town, and have daily carryed my leatherman on my hip for over a decade, several times in police stations etc, and never once has it been mentioned as its quiet normal around here. The closer to a city I feel the sheeple attitude and more importantly the police attitude would change.

rurik

Walkabout
Reaction score
When I carry one in an urban place which is more often than not but not 100% of the time I tend to keep it in my bag. It is inside a side pocket, which has another pouch in it with a zip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lever

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
I did at one stage carry a skeletool and loved it. Primarily for the carabiner clip that made it useful when fishing etc. A couple of times i would jump into the water and not have to worry about losing it as the clip was secured to my vest or belt loop on my pants. Unfortunately, someone else took a fancy to it while at a group camp and it has gone walkabouts..
I grew up in a small country town and had the same understanding of the more relaxed attitudes the authorities have in these types of places. that is until a friend was pulled over by a highway patrolman and stung for having a SAK in the little pocket created by the skirt on the gear stick. My friend owned a working farm with his dad and couldn't encourage the office to let it slide. That said, the HW police tend to be less lenient in these small towns as they tend to have less of a relationship with the community. (Not meaning to offend anyone, I have great respect for the force).
My life these days is spent in a capital city and I'm in Court (for work, not at the request of the Crown!) almost every other day so need to be mindful of the restrictions. Perhaps I'm better suited to sticking with carrying my leatherman brewzer when I'm on the job. Have no problem carrying my Esse or Bark River while in the bush, at camping sites or fishing though..

I was just gifted another tool which I am yet to put to any use. You might be able to read the brand and my forum call sign and see why it was purchased for me!
101.jpg

Cam

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I have a Swiss Champ on me as EDC. I don't leave my property without it - it always comes along with my keys, wallet, and phone and lives in my pocket. However when at home on my small farm I swap it out for a Leatherman Wave. I work in a capital city but haven't had any trouble for carrying my SAK (knock on wood) but I try to be careful where and why I deploy it.

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Every time Bloffy mentions the victorinox soldier I start looking for mine, I was at the point of ordering a new one as it has been lost for 6 months or so.

Dropped a pen down the side of the car seat yesterday, trying to dig it out guess what else I found? Lolly wrappers, parking tickets, paracetamol tablets, $3.25 in change (rattle now gone) and the Victorinox

I'll probably lose it again this weekend.

peter.robinson

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
for me, too many of the SAKs have the bottle opener and tin opener which I never use. For a long time I've meant to build a custom sak. one day.... for know it's still my trusty old Classic, the original one, not the new version with Led light etc

Totumpole

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Need some pictures

Thats a great set up! Might have to have a go at knocking something like this up. I hate lots of things knocking around in my pockets.

I usually carry a SAK Spartan &/or TBS Boar

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Thats a great set up! Might have to have a go at knocking something like this up. I hate lots of things knocking around in my pockets.

I usually carry a SAK Spartan &/or TBS Boar
That TBS Boar looks very nice. How "robust" is it ?

Totumpole

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
That TBS Boar looks very nice. How "robust" is it ?
Its pretty solid - 3mm N965 stainless scandal grind. It's a non-locking blade (makes it EDC legal in the UK), but the mechanism is still nice and tight after a couple of years. Never put it to any heavy use though.

Last edited:

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Every time Bloffy mentions the victorinox soldier I start looking for mine, I was at the point of ordering a new one as it has been lost for 6 months or so.

Dropped a pen down the side of the car seat yesterday, trying to dig it out guess what else I found? Lolly wrappers, parking tickets, paracetamol tablets, $3.25 in change (rattle now gone) and the Victorinox

I'll probably lose it again this weekend.
Okay, it's pretty simple really. If you haven't already lost the knife again (tsk tsk) you will notice there is a small loop at one end. Dig around in your enormous pile of bushcrafting gear and find about 2 foot of hootchie cord or bankline or hand made cordage. Tie the cord through the loop. At the other end, tie a loop big enough to put through your belt loop and hook it on. Finally, don't leave home without it. Lol
Cheers
Bloffy

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
Wave Man's folder collection

here is my folder collection. I never really collected folders (I was focused almost entirely on collecting fixed blades), I just bought a folder as required and EDC'ing them until they stopped working for me (usually until I got sick of them and retiring them for another). But that all changed about a year and a half ago, when I actively started to build a collection of folders. I started collecting brands like Real Steel and Ruike, but soon moved on to more high end folders and moved to buying brands like Reate, ZT and WE (I also have some TuyaKnife, Steel Will and Kizer knives) Of all the folders I have my Reate's are the standouts and are by far my favorites from the collection.

Reate's

ZT's

Real Steel S Class

Steel Will, Tuya and WE

WE (with a Reate duplication)

Kizer

Ruike

Real Steel

and older EDC knives and various one off's