BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plant burn?

Fuss

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Was in the DAguilar National Park. Came home next morning noticed a red mark but thought nothing of it, then it started blistering. Any ideas? When i took off my boots i noticed a lot of leaves in there.IMG_20210619_221627_1.jpg

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
not sure what plant would do that other than, nettle or stinging tree maybe, but thinking it may have been an ant, they can inflict if trapped.

Mozz

Fuss

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time Mozz, i hadnt considered ants or insects but will look into this. Going to the docs tonight as it feels worse. Will update when i know more

Fuss

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Doctor suspects plant, popped blister and said it looks healthy so sent me on my way. Would love to know what plant to avoid next time.

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
could be something that your reaction system just did not like.... invest in some Gaiters, i never go off bush without my pair.

Mozz

sami12

Ray Mears
Reaction score
i have a ornamental plant in the garden that will do this. it is called firesticks (Euphorbia tirucalli). it has a milky sap that will burn on contact with the skin and can get real bad if it finds its way into your eyes.

Fuss

Russell Coight
Reaction score
i have a ornamental plant in the garden that will do this. it is called firesticks (Euphorbia tirucalli). it has a milky sap that will burn on contact with the skin and can get real bad if it finds its way into your eyes.

Thanks for taking the time to share that info will look into it. Really appreciate it.

swampy99

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Looks like a contact reaction as it is localised to that area and not effecting any other body systems if you had an allergic reaction. Yo can react with a burn like reaction to most milky saps from plants. Do get some calls to Mango sap burns during the season.