[Perth] Sunday, 21 April - Mambup walk

uneekwahn

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Hi guys, @Redtail and I are meeting at the Walyunga NP gates at 0600 hours for a nice, cold, early morning walk.

You're welcome to join us.

We'll depart from the gate close to 0615.

Cheers,

uneekwahn

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
It’s going to be 5 degrees. I have a choice: get up at 04.45 and go for a walk in my sleeping bag onesie or stay in bed and eat chocolate.....

Redtail

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
It’s going to be 5 degrees. I have a choice: get up at 04.45 and go for a walk in my sleeping bag onesie or stay in bed and eat chocolate.....
If you promise to show up in your onesie, I will give you an Easter Egg. (And that's not a euphemism!)

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Decided to leave my warm bed and join Redtail and Uneekwahn at the last moment.
Dark and cold when we started. Total of 9.5k covered at a leisurely pace. Plenty of roos. Came across a Zamia plant which had been raided and the flesh stripped from them. Tooth marks evident. Visited old campsite and somebody had obviously had a fire nearby; not surprising at it is a great spot. Saw plenty of goats and a couple of dogs off lead with no owner to be seen; but they looked happy enough and didn't want a bar of us.Stopped for some liquid refreshment and whilst Redtail and I had a thermos; uneekwahn chose a very solid rock for his wood burner. Very solid, solid granite. Wouldn't move at all. Perhaps the angle of the stove may have been wrong, but Redtail and I enjoyed a warm brew and Uneekwahn? Well, not so much.
A great way to spend a Sunday morning... I am owed an Easter egg.260821.jpg

Attachments

Redtail

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
You'll get your egg!
First photo shows why, for those wondering.

Attachments

uneekwahn

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Bloody great walk with some bloody great blokes!

IMG_2063-1.jpg

My US PALM Gryphon back pack in ATACS AU with some awesome PDW and Terrain365 patches!

IMG_2065-1.jpg

Those awesome blokes I told you about :)

IMG_2066-1.jpg

And from the front! (probably best to only use rear shots of them next time!)

IMG_2072-1.jpg

A view down the valley.

IMG_2073-1.jpg

Drop bear protection.

Really good hike apart from the mini earthquake that caused my solo stove and cup of tea to fall off such a stable piece and not at all on an angle granite rock!!

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Wow, what a way to spend Easter day. Looks like you had fun over there! Nice country too.
That equipment belt is too interesting!
Thanks for the pics(y)

Eddy

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Thanks Eddy, it’s the Helikon tex Foxtrot Mk2, which I waited for over a year as everywhere was out of stock. For light loads it is really comfortable and has the added advantage of not having a sweaty back! It has got some molle panels and I put a couple of extra pouches on. Well made too. I’ll put up some pics of what was in it yesterday on the what gear are you carrying thread.

Last edited:

MongooseDownUnder

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Looks like a great walk pity I missed it, I was snug as a bug in my tent up Mundaring way. Although I think I got up not long after six and got the fire going to warm up with coffee.

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Thanks Eddy, it’s the Helikon tex Foxtrot Mk2, which I waited for over a year as everywhere was out of stock. For light loads it is really comfortable and has the added advantage of not having a sweaty back! It has got some molle panels and I put a couple of extra pouches on. Well made too. I’ll put up some pics of what was in it yesterday on the what gear are you carrying thread.

Wow, it looks like the 'Haversack from hell' too me(y):)
Congrads for finally finding one👌
I like those draw strings for water bottles- never seen that before