Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
Common Name: Geebung

Botanic Name: Persoonia Sp.

Other Names: snotgobbler

Distribution: Pretty much all over Australia with some 100 odd species

Field Notes: Plants range from ground covers to small trees depending on species.

Uses: edible fruit, bark of some species said to have medicinal uses. Fruit must be eaten from the ground not the plant and taste a little like over ripe rock melon. The fleshy fiberous covered seed is first squeezed from the skin. then sucked and chewed. I am a self confessed addict, I am not in the bush unless chewing on a Geebung.

How to eat a Geebung;

1) Pick them off the ground under the tree. When soft these are the ripe fruit. Fruit on the tree is hard and bitter.

2) fruit can range in colour from dark purple/brown through green to white.

3) squeeze the fruit to separate the flesh and seed from the skin, discard the skin.

Suck the seed clean, it is covered in fibrous hairs, and is not to everybody's taste but I think they are bloody good!

Last edited:

jesse

Russell Coight
Reaction score
do you have any pictures of the trees?

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score

CSGSurvival

Les Stroud
Reaction score
The bark actually has anticeptic uses and can be rubbed on cuts and some bites to provide relief. Ive heard there is also some way to make a crude antibiotic from some part of the plant, but naturally you really need to know what you're doing to pull that off.

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
The bark actually has anticeptic uses and can be rubbed on cuts and some bites to provide relief. Ive heard there is also some way to make a crude antibiotic from some part of the plant, but naturally you really need to know what you're doing to pull that off.
actually this is only true of a few species, and I am not sure of the details or of any testing on the effectiveness of this remedy.

CSGSurvival

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Well naturally im not sure about the broad leaf because Ive only just found out about it but the geebung with pine like leaves and the rich red/maroon bark can be used. Ive used it on a bull ant bite, whilst it didnt take away all the pain by gosh it helped. The little bugger bit me right between my index and middle finger. So far its the only geebung bark ive used in this way though.
Ive been finding a few varieties lately... one with the pine like leaves but a very very dark maroon bark and the broad leaf. Although maybe Im just finding them because im specifically looking for them so I know where to go when the berries start dropping! :D

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
Well naturally im not sure about the broad leaf because Ive only just found out about it but the geebung with pine like leaves and the rich red/maroon bark can be used. Ive used it on a bull ant bite, whilst it didnt take away all the pain by gosh it helped. The little bugger bit me right between my index and middle finger. So far its the only geebung bark ive used in this way though.
Ive been finding a few varieties lately... one with the pine like leaves but a very very dark maroon bark and the broad leaf. Although maybe Im just finding them because im specifically looking for them so I know where to go when the berries start dropping! :D
I would suggest maybe you found the narrow leaved Geebung, persoonia linearis as the pine leaved Persoonia Pinifolia has grey bark,

this one is the linearis with the dark bark,

CSGSurvival

Les Stroud
Reaction score
I would suggest maybe you found the narrow leaved Geebung, persoonia linearis as the pine leaved Persoonia Pinifolia has grey bark,
Well there we go, I didnt know there was one with grey bark :_l: Ill see if I can dig up a photo. If not ill make a mental note and go and take a few snaps when I get a chance. This has me intrigued.
Do you have a close up photo of the leaves of the narrow leaved geebung? Does this have relatively black bark all the way through with really really dark maroon in the centre? I found one similar to this the otherday too but wasnt sure if it was naturally black or charred black from back burning.

Last edited:

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
Lots of Geebungs have the grey bark, it is more common than the flaky bark species.

The bark of Linearis is dark almost black on the inside and varies from red to dark maroon inside when the dark outer layer is brushed off. Very similar to the variation found in Persoonia levis which you posted the other day.

You can find lots more pictures of various species that will grow in your area under persoonia in this index here.

http://bushcraftoz.com/forums/showthread.php?954-Australian-Plant-Database-Index-List&p=12847&viewfull=1#post12847

I have a few more to post up when I get around to it...

Bezerker Viking

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Thought I might add a few more pics, Gee' season is coming :)
These are from the one with the grey bark, right next to the other species with the dark flaky bark.

Gee's are not ready to be picked yet but, this Sun Dried Geebung tasted great :D

Cheers,
Bezerker.

wameron36

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Hey Berzerker Viking, how do the sun dried ones compare to fresh?

I love how 'chewy' these are!

Bezerker Viking

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Hey Berzerker Viking, how do the sun dried ones compare to fresh?

I love how 'chewy' these are!
The sun dried ones are a lil hard and chewy, (kinda like biltong/jerky) but also pretty sweet and full of flavour once your saliva softens it up, worth a try mate.