Peanut Butter

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
On a recent trip we decided to have some biscuits and peanut butter for lunch; but taking peanut butter can be a bulky if you take a jar, messy if you decant it into something else, and potentially very messy if it leaks !

A while back I bought a small vacuum seal machine, so I :
- cut some bags into triangular shapes,
- folded down the tops (to keep the top of the bags clean so they can be sealed),
- filled them with peanut butter, then
- vacuum sealed them shut.
P1300338 (Small).jpg

To eat, I cut open the end and squeezed the peanut butter out. Easy to carry, no mess !
P1300504 (Small).jpg P1300505 (Small).jpg

gelandangan

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
When you are done in the field, you can squeeze the lip as much as possible, and then use the edge of a heated metal spoon to re seal the open end.

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Peanut butter is a very good kJ per kg and on a long trip even a plastic jar is good
Thats a great idea for trips mate. Might give it a go. Thanks
I don't understand folk who go and spend big bucks to stock up on mainstay rations from the states. All you have to do is got to Coles and stock up on Peanut butter much cheaper..

Skandiman

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I must be a natural at this caper..... I've been eating peanut butter on weet-bix for breakfast every day for about sixty five years! Ahead of my time, obviously!

Jacko

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Folks, it's Peanut Paste !!!!! :D

Excellent idea gelanlangan, I'm a fan of Peanut PASTE and Honey on Bickies

regards Jacko

Last edited:

BushChef

Karen Hood
Staff member
Reaction score
That's such a great idea!
This made me think of a great recipe you might like.. this would also be an awesome way to store it.. it's called super spackle, not sure if you've heard of it? Mike Clelland (UL superstar) has a recipe in his book UL Backpacking Tips but it's also here…
http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/7N6xo...e-the-ultimate-ultralight-backpacking-snack/#
A great combo of nut butters and flavourings for long walks and long lasting energy :)

GTVi

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Peanut Butter is a great source of energy for day hikes or if I need a boost of energy when working in the garden.

However I'm stingy. I also take the small sealed ones from McDonalds...they offer them for free...Honey, Vegemite, Jam etc... in small snack sizes.