Paracord upgrade for Hatchet - Show me your AXE.

Markie D

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Howdy Fellow Bushcrafters,
I recently purchased a cheap Husqvarna Hatchet, It is actually a nicely designed well balanced hatchet for Under $100.
It came with a leather blade cover, and a hole in the bottom of the handle. I purchased the Hatchet for hiking, and i normally only take a small hatchet with me these days.
The hatchet was lacking a neck guard so i made one out of black paracord.
I also decided to make a hanging loop. I threaded some paracord through the handle hole and fixed with snakeknots, and i then attached 2 glow in the dark beads to the loop. Hopefully these will stand out at night.

I think it looks a lot better, might add some linseed oil to the handle.
Let me know what you think?
Feel free to share pictures of your own Axe upgrades, i'm interested to see what others have done.

Happy bushcrafting.

Peace
Markie D

Randall

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
soaking the head in oil won't hurt either. It will swell up a bit and make the fit even tighter / less likely to come loose. I use old engine oil for the heads of sledge hammer, axe, mattock etc.

Randall

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Hi, be aware that used petrol and diesel lube oil is very carcinogenic.
Stay with the linseed...
For sure; just the head. I use nitrile gloves. After a day or two soaking the head, pull it out and leave it for another day or two standing head up, then wipe the bit clean with a rag. More than likely the handle won't need wiping - oil soaks in. Linseed is fairly expensive - great for wiping over the handles. I've done this with all the heads of garden implements - there's no residue on the handles. Oil runs down but soaks in, just like linseed does. After use I usually clean the metal / iron parts and wipe them over with an oily rag too (wearing nitrile gloves).

Kiwisailor

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Sounds like a plan..
Ensure rags are put in a sealed tin or water as they can spontaneously combust..
I get linseed oil from large paint stores, about $10 litre. Boiled is best.