paracord corner

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
OK Results from paracord testing after drying naturally.

I bought the paracord from various sources over the years, but it is 7 strand 550.

First column is sealed and boiled, second is unsealed and boiled, third is washed

Black -11% -3% 4%
Orange -13% -8% -0.6%
Multi -5.3% -6%. 3%
Tan -8% -8% -3.2%
Grey -6% -5% 2.6%
Hootchi -5% -3% -0.6%

I know a small sample size, but there is some reduction in boiling paracord, this reduction is most marked when sealed paracord is boiled.

I would assume this is due to shrinkage of the outer, rather than the 7 inner strands.

The results for cold wash for one minute I don't think are significant as some paracord elongated, but I did not do sealed with the cold water.

Does this help? I don't think so.

But it kept me off the streets.

Attachments

Last edited:

Ben Dono

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
I think it does help Thrud.
Probably a better question to ask is now that you have done the test, would you preshrink your paracord for a bracelet? I'm thinking cold water might be the better option for a size specific item but everything else, I'm not sure that I would bother.
I'm also wondering if the shrink from cold water would naturally elongate with use (much the same way as jeans after a wash).

Ben Dono

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
I'm sorry I did not test the Paracord shrinking with you (Busy in the workshop) but you might like this youtube clip Thurd.
I wanted to test the strength of a full strand, stitch through eye in paracord. It's a long winded clip but there is some good info on knot strength. Actually, there were a few surprises.

I'm not that creative with paracord but I needed to solve a few construction problems so I delved into the topic. I came across some unique ways to use the cord and though it best to share. The next one will be on how to make your own DIY slim fids from brass tube.

Last edited:

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Thanks Ben, very interesting and well edited video. I’d never thought about splicing paracord, I’ve made whoopies etc with dyneema. I’m going to give it a go with some fids I got from Cams cords.

asemery

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Four strand crown knot variations
By changing the initial layout of the two cords and by crowning to the left, to the right, or alternating left and right you can alter the appearance of your knotting. Finish with single/double footrope knot

Randall

Ray Mears
Reaction score
I've made a heap of these, for various things. The weave is called a quick deploy zipper sinnet. It undoes in a nano second :) Only two ends needed for the weave, so I use one piece for each one. It's easy. And it's Australian army version of paracord - called hoochi cord. It's smaller diameter, but really strong. I've got a roll of it. Great for travelling too - one strand is strong enough for a clothesline. Here's a video tutorial for the weave https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMuvFVWUl4E

weave.jpg

asemery

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
just weaved another trilobite bracelet, I now wear these two EDC. I am really liking the trilobite weave, thin and looks great. I did weave the new one a little too big but when I get more buckles I will weave a slightly small one.

asemery

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
woggle
I had no orange cord and needed a woggle (ASAP) for a cub scout uniform. I twisted some orange knitting yarn together to make a cord for a quick fix.