paracord corner

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
I simply love paracord, and have really gotten into "man weaving". I EDC 2 digital camo kingcobra survival bracelets(both have a whistle buckle, and one has a compass incorporated)

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
and here is some more of paracord man weaving
modified kingcobra survival belt

and another survival belt I just finished

and a handle wrap on a knife

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
Do those weaves unzip quickly in an emergency??
they do unweave, tho quickly isn't a word I would associate with unweaving them. I weave these bracelets so that you can remove the outer layer (recovering 9' of cord) and still being able to using the bracelet, tho once the last layer is unweaved the bracelet is destroyed obviously.

DarthBORG

Russell Coight
Reaction score
I have made some of these as well, only single layer of cord and a Lanyard knot button instead of the plastic buckles, I'll try add a photo later.

Bartnmax

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
This is an area I've yet to start in, even though I've been planning to for a while now.
Got meself a heap o paracord. Got me some instructions off the net.
Just havta sit down & get stuck into learnin to do it.
Thought I'd start small with a bracelet & move on to belt making, etc.
If you blokes have any suggestions for a learner then I'm all ears (or eyes as it may be).
Thanks fellas.

Bill A.
By the way.
I know paracord is the usual medium used for such items but out of interest I'm wondering if anyone has used any other materials & what results they had?
Might make for some interesting experimentation? What about fishing braid? Mono? other cordage? Leather?

PS. what length of paracord do ya reckon I'd need for a belt?

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
I am actually pretty paracord crazy, I have a heap of it woven into many items, paracord bracelets (the two I edc one is the aforementioned new slim trilobite and the other is a kingcobra weave which I have integrated a small tube of survival gear plus og coarse the ferro rod/whistle buckle), key fobs, lanyards and handle wraps on knives.

handles on ferro rods

and my paracord survival bracelet

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
There is something very pleasing about weaving with Paracord. One of the manuals I have suggests washing to preshrink the Paracord; I don't know if anyone else does. Ive never found it to be much of an issue.

@Waveman, you're going to need to get some folders to go with those lanyards....:_risata:

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
One of the manuals I have suggests washing to preshrink the Paracord; I don't know if anyone else does. Ive never found it to be much of an issue.
Neither have I and I have EDC'ed paracord bracelets for years.

Thrud said:
@Waveman, you're going to need to get some folders to go with those lanyards....:_risata:
too right mate...LoL

Ben Dono

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Wow! I never knew paracord would have shrunk that much. I did not even know about this. So it's good practice to preshrink your cord? I'm with you Thrud, I can's say I have ever noticed paracord shrinking but I have never made anything from it tight enough to notice.

I would have thought this is a bit damaging to the paracord. It's a bit like putting a plastic drink bottle in boiling water. Would using cold water be a better option?
Thanks for the info Thrud.

Last edited:

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Thanks Ben. In the pictures the ends of the cord are not sealed. I’m going to test today and see what happens to sealed/unsealed and some different colours. I will do a control with soaking in cold water. I would expect that there would be a difference in the shrinkage between the core and the outer. If that happens then the sealed cord will twist or something.

If you see on the news this evening that there was an explosion in Perth, then you will know it was the something!

Last edited:

Ben Dono

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Thanks Ben. In the pictures the ends of the cord are not sealed. I’m going to test today and see what happens to sealed/unsealed and some different colours. I will do a control with soaking in cold water. I would expect that there would be a difference in the shrinkage between the core and the outer. If that happens then the sealed cord will twist or something.

If you see on the news this evening that there was an explosion in Perth, then you will know it was the something!
Just a guess but I'm thinking if it was a major issue, more people would have noticed it by now. Bracelet makers would be the first to notice. I do like a good test though. If room temp water does shrink it slightly, it could be a way of tidying up a monkey fist or a Turkish head knot.
Maybe pull the internal strands out once you have done the boiling water test so you can have a look.

Heck, I should just stop asking and join in on the test!

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Test Underway,

15cm lengths all measured.
Different colours and one set of hootchie cord.

1 batch (sealed and unsealed) in boiling water for 1 minute and another in cold tap water for one minute.

Now air drying. I will leave them 24 hrs or so to dry.

Did notice that the boiled lot was stiffer on taking out of water.

House still intact.IMG_7927.jpgIMG_7932.jpg