Pan bread test at home

Lepmeister

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Good starting mate. Stove top is a great spot to get your mix right and some ingrediants locked in. Well worthwhile cooking a few on the stove top so you have somthing to get a measure from when you move to the fire or alky stove.

I had been playing with making bannock on my Ti msr plate. Stove top and alky worked great... Fire coals is yet to be mastered.

Looking forward to seeing to updates.

sami12

Ray Mears
Reaction score
I started with the alcohol stove but i was using my fast burning one... Too big a flame and unstable with the handled fry pan.. I like the idea of using the plate good stuff. Updates in the coming days mate

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Looks pretty good.

You should be able to avoid the "dry-burn" by reducing the temperature / flame size. Alternatively, turn it a lot !

Last edited:

sami12

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Yeh good point i should turn it more and definitely less heat.. Worst part of trial and error... Eating lots of bread.. Probably not all that bad eh? Heh.

Lepmeister

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Worst part of trial and error... Eating lots of bread.. Probably not all that bad eh? Heh.
It was getting to the point where I was tossing out the testers... But gee they were good.

Quick tip... The heart smart pick and mix goes real well with a bannock.

image.jpgf

Ingredients:
Whole Raw Almonds (28.5%) (Almonds (100%)), Pomegranate Flavoured Cranberries (18.3%) (Dried Cranberries (65%), Sugar, Pomegranate Juice from concentrate, Food Acid (296), Flavour, Elderberry Juice Concentrate, Sunflower Oil), Golden Raisins (13.5%) (Raisins (99.2%), Sunflower Oil, Preservative (Sulphur Dioxide)), Dark Chocolate (13.5%) (Cocoa Liquor, Sugar, Cocoa Butter, Emulsifiers (476, Soy Lecithin), Vanilla Flavour), Strawberries (9.0%) (Strawberries (65%), Sugar, Food Acid (330), Natural Colour (Black Carrot Juice, Water, Food Acid (330)), Preservative (Sulphur Dioxide), Natural Flavour), Brazil Nuts (9.0%) (Brazil Nuts (100%)), Shelled Pistachios (8.2%) (Pistachio Nuts (100%)).

http://shop.coles.com.au/online/ProductDisplay?storeId=10601&productId=16833&urlRequestType=Base&langId=-1&catalogId=10001

sami12

Ray Mears
Reaction score
nice that would be good for a morning/mid walk bread. good idea mate

sami12

Ray Mears
Reaction score
and breakfast ;) :D
i actually have some soft flasks to take whiskey for the longer hikes.. im not a gram weenie at all and it will be worth it in the end.
off to try another pan bread.. lets see how we go..

sami12

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Ooh maybe we can plan that for this weekend eh? Im using my tato ab13 now.. I got sidetracked and am cooking chorizo on it..

Lepmeister

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Are you using the tato with all of the felt alight? With a remote feed stove like that (same style as what I use) you are able to get a light simmer temp by only squeezing enough fuel into the stove to the center / half of the felt is burning. You may be all over it, but thought it worth a mention.

Ps - how good are chorizo !!

sami12

Ray Mears
Reaction score
I didn't know that mate. Ill give it a go. Even make a snuff lid to cover the center for bread. I actually used a fancy feast stove initially for the pan bread but it was not stable and too big a flame

Lepmeister

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I haven't been taking mine out much of late, opting for the oats.

They are a great addition for both b'fast and dessert.. Spam'n'Eggs or pancakes in the morning, sweet bannock or choc muffin mix in the evening.

I even trimmed down the handle on my one ... Lightweight options (haha)