Pakistan Bowie .

barra650

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I wanted A large cheap knife to have a bit of fun with and maybe do a few mods as well. So I ended up buying this Bowie from a local who sells on ebay.
The knife is made in Pakistan , which I knew before I bought it. Some would say the finish of the knife is rough , I would say rustic .
The knife looks like it has been completely hand made using hand power tools .
Even the flat of the blade looks like it has been cleaned up with an angle grinder before it was polished . Out of the box it passed the paper cut test and was able to shave some arm hair .
After a bit hard chopping and fun at the wood pile the wooden scales started to come away . They weren't glued at all .
Time to take it apart, repin and glue the handle scales and cut down the brass guard. I was going to use a set of wood scales that I have , but the ones on there look pretty good .
I also polished the brass guard then decided to go with a satin finish .
So I went for a walk into my stealth camp site and belted up the Bowie then had some fun chopping down a few dead trees for some fire wood and some general knife duties.
I bought this knife for a bit of fun , but it can really do the business when it comes chopping and general hard work. No complaints about the sheath which is leather and sturdy.
I paid $60 delivered , though they reckon in America you can buy for around 20 of their $ss.
This is the first Bowie I've bought in many years and rather pleased with it . I typed Pakistan Bowie and there are a few vids on the youtube . Cheers.
Before .
IMG_6385.JPG

After .

Attachments

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
You should look at some of the off the peg knife kits that are out they're. You are kind of half way there anyways ,looking at what you done with this one...

Last edited:

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Well done. It looks like Burt Lancaster's Smithsonian Bowie, from the movie 'The Iron Mistress'. I love large Bowie knives. One day, I hope...

Le Loup

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
I wanted A large cheap knife to have a bit of fun with and maybe do a few mods as well. So I ended up buying this Bowie from a local who sells on ebay.
The knife is made in Pakistan , which I knew before I bought it. Some would say the finish of the knife is rough , I would say rustic .
The knife looks like it has been completely hand made using hand power tools .
Even the flat of the blade looks like it has been cleaned up with an angle grinder before it was polished . Out of the box it passed the paper cut test and was able to shave some arm hair .
After a bit hard chopping and fun at the wood pile the wooden scales started to come away . They weren't glued at all .
Time to take it apart, repin and glue the handle scales and cut down the brass guard. I was going to use a set of wood scales that I have , but the ones on there look pretty good .
I also polished the brass guard then decided to go with a satin finish .
So I went for a walk into my stealth camp site and belted up the Bowie then had some fun chopping down a few dead trees for some fire wood and some general knife duties.
I bought this knife for a bit of fun , but it can really do the business when it comes chopping and general hard work. No complaints about the sheath which is leather and sturdy.
I paid $60 delivered , though they reckon in America you can buy for around 20 of their $ss.
This is the first Bowie I've bought in many years and rather pleased with it . I typed Pakistan Bowie and there are a few vids on the youtube . Cheers.
Before .

After .
Not a bad looking knife barra, good find. Looks sturdy enough. Personally though I would use a tomahawk for cutting wood, & I have never had to cut firewood for a camp fire. Look after that knife & it will look after you.
Keith.

barra650

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Not a bad looking knife barra, good find. Looks sturdy enough. Personally though I would use a tomahawk for cutting wood, & I have never had to cut firewood for a camp fire. Look after that knife & it will look after you.
Keith.
You're right about cutting fire wood . Most places have enough wood on the ground that you can just break up or just put the whole log on the fire and let it burn through . Just having a bit of enjoyment using the Bowie .

barra650

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
It's a pity you have to walk into the bush and be alone to wear a knife on the belt . Especially a large knife . Imagine the looks you would get if you started to use a big Bowie to cut up the tomatoes at picnic area in a national park . HAHA.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
It's a pity you have to walk into the bush and be alone to wear a knife on the belt . Especially a large knife . Imagine the looks you would get if you started to use a big Bowie to cut up the tomatoes at picnic area in a national park . HAHA.
in Queensland that would be perfectly OK (as in wearing that bowie on your belt while camping, at a picnic or bushwalking as you are complying with the genuine reason part of the legislation) and I personally would not worry about impacting the delicate sensibilities of the sheeple. Besides many 'kitchen' knives are at least as big as your bowie if you look (I know my big Furi has a 25cm or just a hair under 10" blade). It even says 'restaurant' in the legislation (though that is 'use' not 'carry')

barra650

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
in Queensland that would be perfectly OK (as in wearing that bowie on your belt while camping, at a picnic or bushwalking as you are complying with the genuine reason part of the legislation) and I personally would not worry about impacting the delicate sensibilities of the sheeple. Besides many 'kitchen' knives are at least as big as your bowie if you look (I know my big Furi has a 25cm or just a hair under 10" blade). It even says 'restaurant' in the legislation (though that is 'use' not 'carry')
Hear Hear.