BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paiute

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Been watching Alone on the SBS on demand.
Some of the participants have been using Paiute to catch mice. Thought I'd give it a go.

Nice and warm, well fed, sitting down but still very time consuming and frustrating.
I have much more respect for those on the show doing this half starved with cold hands in the rain and wind!
The eagle-eyed amongst you will see that I have wrapped the cordage once round the upright; I have read that I should have roughened the upright post instead to allow more friction.
D828F003-27F2-43CB-9438-07CA59BB6D4F.jpeg

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Only did it to see how it worked. I've made a figure 4 trigger before, but just been watching a bloke who has modified a fig 4, which increases the sensitivity of the trigger.
Interestingly very few of the videos I've watched have used a safety rock to protect their hands in the event of triggering too soon. Last thing you want in a survival situation is a stuffed limb (don't mention anything about my knife skills MDU)

Kindliing

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Been watching Alone on the SBS on demand.
Some of the participants have been using Paiute to catch mice. Thought I'd give it a go.

Nice and warm, well fed, sitting down but still very time consuming and frustrating.
I have much more respect for those on the show doing this half starved with cold hands in the rain and wind!
The eagle-eyed amongst you will see that I have wrapped the cordage once round the upright; I have read that I should have roughened the upright post instead to allow more friction.
View attachment 27983
Can be really effective for that, Also there’s an episode of naked and afraid where a guy ate rats he caught in a cave shelter using deadfall the whole time and never went hungry or hardly lost weight.

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
I've only ever made these traps as skill tests, never to trap, but:

In my limited experience the Fig 4 is a more complex to tune and definitely requires more effort to carve.
To make the Paiute you need good cordage, but there is less carving and (IMO) its easier to balance.

Using a safety rock is a great idea when playing with these. Thanks Thrud