Overview Victorinox Swiss Army Knife Hiker (red)

T.C.

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Nice video Dean, very informative. I carry a Victorinox Compact Plus if I'm heading into town, if I'm working I have a leatherman on me.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
Nice video Dean, very informative. I carry a Victorinox Compact Plus if I'm heading into town, if I'm working I have a leatherman on me.
Thanks Travin, I actually think the SAK and Leatherman (or any multitool) compliment each other and work very well together.

T.C.

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I have the Leatherman T4 as well, It's very similar to a well equipped SAK, only heavier built, well worth checking out.

Chigger

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
My SAK Camper is my always carry knife for bushwalking/camping/bushcraft. Happily complemented with a 6 inch Bowie knife for the larger jobs the SAK is not suited to.

The saw works a treat and have found the awl is handy as well.

The hiker looks a another useful SAK from Victorinox . Thanks for the video.

Randall

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
I have a couple of the handyman knives. I generally take them in my mtb kits. I wanted wood saw, hack saw and file, scissors, pliers. Awl is very useful. The other things I've used as levers etc. I've had to use both saws (and file) to manufacture some fixes in the bush. Of course with saks there is generally something for everyone :) Oh, I've also replaced the pin with a nice size needle. It is a snug fit so I leave it poking out a bit but it still doesn't interfere with the cork screw. I've also left a small loop of floss on the needle to make it easy to pull out. I always have floss in my kits (urban and bush kit). The needle with the pliers make most sewing repairs possible. Heavier leather I'll have to use the awl for sewing. The pliers are also good for grabbing small fiddly things - stuff like small ball bearings, tiny bolts or nuts etc. Or, ummm, debris out of wounds :oops:

Last edited:

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
SAKs are just so versatile.

If you have never heard of him, look up Felix Immler on YouTube.

The amount of tips and tricks he has that you can do with these knives is outstanding.
looking him up and watching him now, looks interesting thanks mate.

The only thing I don't like about the SAK is the fact that they are a slip joint, but that's a personal bias.

RottenHopeless

Russell Coight
Reaction score
I have the SAK Trekker, which has a locking blade.

Being in the Nanny State of Woosers, it wouldn't matter what knife I had, I can't carry it without a justifiable reason backed up by a lawyer and with a permission note from my dead grandfather :censored:

So, I only get to carry it around at home, when hiking/camping or at work.

Randall

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
I have the SAK Trekker, which has a locking blade.

Being in the Nanny State of Woosers, it wouldn't matter what knife I had, I can't carry it without a justifiable reason backed up by a lawyer and with a permission note from my dead grandfather :censored:

So, I only get to carry it around at home, when hiking/camping or at work.
Unfortunately this is a law born out of experience. Knives are still the most used weapon in violent incidents. Admittedly that's mostly our youth. It's the same in the UK. You'd have to raise the legal age of knife ownership to something like over 30 - I'm guessing that would rule out the majority of knife incidents esp in social places. Our world is changing rapidly now, due mostly to our numbers and hence intolerance.