overview TuyaKnife Kingsman

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
here's my written review of the TuyaKnife Kingsman

This was a highly anticipated knife, and made more so when I learned that the owner of Tuya took the unexpected action of halting the run to have have the blades re-hardened to HRC 61. This speaks to how much Tuya thinks of their customers and the quality of their products.

What the company says
LIMITED TO 150 SERIAL NUMBERED PIECES
THE KINGSMAN - Guaranteed at 61 HRC Hardness
A new knife from Tuya with a slim drop point blade in M390 steel. A dimpled titanium bolster coupled with custom made, marbled carbon fiber on the handle gives the knife extra grip and a very sleek high end look.
The fit and finish is extremely good. Flipping action is as good as knives twice it's price. Features black titanium hardware, back spacer and titanium pocket clip.
Each knife is serial numbered inside the backspacer.
PLEASE NOTE - The owner of Tuya had the blades on these heat treated again to get them up to Bohler Udderholm's 60-62 recommended range. The original blades tested at 59.5. This says a lot to Tuya's commitment to the quality to its products.
The knife comes with a hard-shell padded storage case.
flipper action, ceramic bearings.

Specifications
Blade Material: M390 Steel
Overall Length: 210mm - 8.27-inches
Blade Thickness: 3.8mm
Blade Edge: 3.54 Inches
Hardness: 59-60 HRC (edit 60-62, tested at 61)
Handle Material: 6AL4V Titanium
Weight: 3.6 oz
Ceramic ball bearing system
Finish: satin
Mechanism: Frame Lock
Action: flipper opening
Pricing from True Talon is $350

The Kingsman is shipped in a hard shelled plastic padded case, authentication card and microfiber cloth. These knives are a limited run, with only 150 pieces, all of which are numbered. My Kingsman is #099. The number is on the inside of the backspacer.

The knife features partial open design with a short titanium backspacer (featuring jimping and integrated lanyard hole) secured with two body screws (the body screws are titanium as they aren't magnetic, pivot is torx #8 and body screws screws, pocket screw, lockbar insert are torx #6), contoured titanium and marbled carbon fiber handle slabs, keyed (?) pivot which is ano'ed black. All hardware is titanium and ano'ed black. The handle has not been internally milled as the Carbon Fiber inserts serve as all the weight reduction the knife needs (as it is quite light for its size, falling into that optimal ratio of 1oz/1" of blade length). All edges on the knife's handle have been chamfered and the fit and finish on these knives is very good. The bolster area has been 'dimpled' and overall the knife is a very classy looking piece.
For me the most striking part of the knife is the marbled carbon fiber panels, which have been executed very well and overall they are almost void free, if you look very carefully with the aid of a light I can detect some slight imperfections, but that is very nitpicky.

The lanyard hole works as it should and easily allows non gutted paracord through, and I added a snake knot and ti bead to the knife.

Because of the way Tuya has set up the CF panels the knife is essentially a bolster lock, with the lock bar featuring an integrated steel lockbar insert and over travel stop even though the CF panels also act to limit the lock bars ability to extend further than it should. Access to the lock has been aided by a cut out for the pass through, something I wish was done on all frame locks.
Lock up is very good, around 30%, giving plenty of lock confidence.

The skelitized flipper tab has jimping and the knife functions as a light switch flipper. The flipping action is very good, and the knife fires very well, and the blade wiggles shut easily. I tried, but could not get the knife to fail to fire properly.

The milled titanium pocket clip is set up for right hand, tip up carry only, and the clip is secured with a single screw. The clip is placed quite low on the frame and a bit back, and thus the knife is not set up for deep carry as a fair amount of the handle sticks out above the pocket lip.
Despite this I did find the knife goes in and out of the pocket easily and because the Kingsman is close to the perfect size for EDC'ing it rides very well in pocket.
I also initially thought the position of the pocket clip would cause a hot spot when cutting with the knife over extended periods, but am happy to report it seemed to be OK and wasn't a problem.

The compound ground blade has a vertical brushed satin finish that is visually pleasing to my eye, though I have found the finish tends to be a fingerprint magnet. The blade also features a sharpening choil as well as milled cutouts that form a sort of fuller along the top part of the blade. There is some billboarding, but it is quite subtle. Jimping has been added to the spine. The blade is well centered and there is no blade play or lock rock.

The knife didn't perform very well slicing cardboard, every time I started to cut the cardboard would bunch and halt the cut. The blade has a reasonably thick spine (3.6mm) and the blade is not very tall so the primary grind doesn't have a chance to thin out at the edge very well. I honestly don't see this as an issue though, as I doubt many Kingsman will be used as carton cutters, and I see these knives as a "gentleman's knife" designed for occasional carry and use. I did find the knife performed very well as an occasional cutter, opening packets, cutting paracord and other various tasks I perform on a daily basis around the house.

The Kingsman fits my large hands well any I despite my initial thoughts about the pocket clips position I didn't find any hotspots during any of my cutting tests.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score

notice all the halted cuts due to bunching

Conclusion I honestly believe the TuyaKnife Kingsman is one of the best buys of the year, it has it all, fantastic fit and finish, fires very well and overall is a visually stunning piece that is classy and sophisticated. It is a very worthy gentleman's knife that IMHO represents outstanding value for money.

Pro's size, fit and finish, flipping action, looks, value for money, re-hardened blades to HRC61

Con's pocket clip position (very nit picky)

Note on the HRC testing and the fact that the blades were re-hardened, I have to say how impressed I am with Tuya for re-hardening the Kingsman blades to HRC61, and hope all production knife companies that use M390 take heed and start to run their M390 with in Bohler's recommended range of 60-62.

1-5 star system 1 star poor/fail 2 star below average 3 star average 4 above average 5 star excellent
Hands on/Ergos 4.9 stars (only issue is the pocket clip position)
Materials/Features 5 stars
Build Quality/Fit and Finish 5 stars
Value/Price point 5 stars
Aesthetics 5 stars
Overall rating (average of all above) 4.98 stars

For full disclosure I would also add I have XXL hands, and that must play in to my review process, and the readers should keep that in mind when reading my reviews and recommendations.
Lastly I ONLY use folding knives for light cutting duties, so I will not do 'hard use' cutting tasks with any folder, that's what I have fixed blades for, so cutting tests consisted of cutting paper, cardboard, packaging, paracord, some food prep (again, not a task I use folders for for the most part) and other duties a stay-at-home-dad would use a cutting tool for around the house