Overview Reate T2500

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
Here's my video overview of the Reate T2500, a written review to follow in a few days time

barra650

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Here's my video overview of the Reate T2500, a written review to follow in a few days time

Gotta agree that the knife is to small , although there are the ladies out there that have small hands and maybe it would be a good fit . I have flipper and stud opening folders and most times I open them two handed , but you do see a lot of knife reviews and they whinge about having to use two hands , lazy buggers . Enjoyed your vid.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
It really is an expensive piece of pocket jewelry, too small to do anything with. I love Reate's, and own a few of them but found this one hard to review. With my large hands I just couldn't safely manipulate the knife and I'd hate to do it under stressful situations or in the dark or some-such, I'd end up cutting myself.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
Review Reate Tashi Designs T2500

This is the first of three knives sent to me for review purposes by True Talon. I have decided to slow up a bit this year on reviews, this will be the last lot of reviews I will be doing for a few months. I still want to do them, just not back to back like I was doing them last year.

I will say this is a very hard review for me to write, as the T2500 is an extremely small knife and doesn't fit my XXL sized hands at all and I did not feel comfortable using the knife. The first time I fired the knife open it nicked my palm and cut me. The sized of the knife came into play at all times in use and I had trouble using it for the simplest of tasks.

For this reason I am not going to assign the usual star rating system at the end of the review, as I feel that I could not give the knife a fair rating.

what the company says
T2500 - Tashi Bharucha Design
Carbon fiber inlaid Titanium handle and M390 blade with a satin finish. (knife supplied for review purposes)

The T2500 features a top of the line M390 blade steel and a full Titanium handle (with other inlay options offered including checkerboard carbon fiber or orange G10 inlays. The T2500 is the first in line of Tashi's bigger models coming - T3000 - T3500 - T4000.

This is THE perfect size knife for EDC carry. If you're used to carrying a small Case or Old Timer knife the T2500 is a great modern style alternative.

Comes with plush lined storage pouch, drawstring carry bag, cleaning cloth and spare parts.

SPECIFICATIONS

T2500 (Designed by Tashi Bharucha )

Bearings: Ceramic ball bearings
Open Length:5.60” 144.6mm
Blade length: 2.50” 63.5mm
Closed length: 3.26”
Blade thickness: 0.157” 3.2mm
Blade material: Bohler M390
Blade material hardness: 61HRC
Handle material: 6AL4V Titanium
Inlay material: Checkerboard Carbon Fiber / Orange G10/ marble carbon fiber
Weight: 50g/1.76oz
Blade finish: Satin finish
Handle finish: Grey(Bead blast)

Pricing from True Talon ranges from $290-$320 (as of 14/03/20)
True Talon
https://www.truetalon.com/collection...harucha-design

The Tashi T250 is shipped in the usual Reate fashion, the white box, containing a microfiber cloth and zippered proprietary, Reate plush bag containing the knife, the knife comes in a plastic slip bag, Reate Knife patch and some spare hardware bits. All good stuff. The box has all the details of the knife printed on the outside of the box.

Getting the knife in hand and I realized just how small this knife is, I would described them as tiny. First time I fire it and I nicked my palm.

Build quality is typical Reate, almost flawless in its execution, seamless and with near perfect fit and finish.The insert transition cannot be perceived by me. The marbled carbon fiber is again simply stunning, no voids and some of the best I have seen done on any knife. There are other insert options available though if I were buying this knife this is the version I would buy, the marbled carbon fiber version is IMO the most visually appealing of the the options, and works so well with the anodising.

The T2500 is built following the somewhat usually pattern, though Reate and Tashi Bharucha designed the knife to make it look like it is an integral, though it is not. You can see the slight seam running down the length of the 'backspacer' (technically it isn't a backspacer, just where the two halves of the handle come together). While you can barely see the seam I can barely pick it up with my fingernail, still it is very well done. A lanyard hole has been integrated into the rear of the handle that fitted non gutted paracord easily.

Hardware is kept to a minimum (one body screw, one pocket clip screw, pivot and lock insert screw and all screws are Torx #8 which is refreshing and about time) and is all anodized a visually pleasing blue colour.

As mentioned there is a lock bar insert that acts as an overtravel stop, and the pivot has torx on both sides. The milled pocket clip is set up for right hand, tip up carry only, and works well with the knife going in and out of the pocket ok, has good retention, though it is not very deep carry and some of the knife's handle sticks out of the pocket when you carry the knife. I will say this tiny knife is so light that it is easy to forget you have it in your pocket.

The knife functions as a light switch flipper and flipping action is very snappy, once you work out how to fire the knife without hurting yourself. Because of the knife's size it is hard to manipulate if you have hands larger than small. I have worked out how to fire the knife but it is slow and deliberate and you have to hold it in a specific hold to fire it safely, and if you don't you run the risk of cutting yourself (well I know I do with my sized hands).

The blade is too light to allow it to drop shut, or even wiggle shut, so you have to manually shut it.

Now to the blade, it's what I am calling a modified spear point, the Tashi line seems to all have spear points and so that's what I am going with. It features a near full flat grind and vertical belt satin finish. Despite the small blade it still has a 3.2mm spine, but the flat grind makes for a reasonably slicy little knife. There is some billboarding, Reate on one side of the blade Tashi makers mark on the other and the M390 blade steel mark on the flipper tab. The knife came just one shaving sharp from the factory.

As I have come to expect from Reate, the blade was perfectly centered, there was no blade play and I could not detect and lock rock. Lock up is is very good at around 30% giving plenty of lock confidence.

now I have to admit I have done very little cutting with the T2500, I just didn't have the confidence with it. The T2500 was simply too small for me. I could barely get a 2 1/2 finger hold on the knife and didn't have the purchase I would normally have on the handle that I needed to instill confidence to really cut a lot with it.
I did cut some cardboard with it and it proved a decent slicer, which surprised me. The 3.2mm spine thickness is deceptive and the near full flat grind did its job to thin out the behind the edge measurement, making it a slicy little knife.

Conclusion, The Tashi T2500 is a brilliantly executed tiny pocket knife that is simply way too small for me. Typical Reate build quality with near perfect fit and finish. I would not feel comfortable EDC'ing this knife as it is too small for me as I can only get 2 1/2 finger hold on the handle. I would hate to have to manipulate this under stress or in the dark as I am sure I would end up cutting myself.
While I can appreciate the technical expertise that goes into producing such a piece and the beauty of the piece I would never buy one.

Pro's flipping action (light switch, once you work out how to fire the knife without hurting yourself), typical Reate build quality, carbon fiber inlays are seamless

Con's diminutive size/too small for me and my sized hands, too fiddly to manipulate properly, cut me first time I fired it open

**I am not doing my usual star rating system for this knife I don't think it is fair as the knife is too small for me and I cannot properly review it in good faith.
1-5 star system 1 star poor/fail 2 star below average 3 star average 4 above average 5 star excellent
Hands on/Ergos
Materials/Features
Build Quality/Fit and Finish
Value/Price point
Aesthetics of all above)

For full disclosure I would also add I have XXL hands, and that must play in to my review process, and the readers should keep that in mind when reading my reviews and recommendations.
Lastly I ONLY use folding knives for light cutting duties, so I will not do 'hard use' cutting tasks with any folder, that's what I have fixed blades for, so cutting tests consisted of cutting paper, cardboard, packaging, paracord, some food prep (again, not a task I use folders for for the most part) and other duties a stay-at-home-dad would use a cutting tool for around the house.