Overnighter WA

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
This is where I spent last night.
Didn’t take an under quilt and used lightweight bag. Trifle windy and got a few cold spots.
Turned out I was the one being tracked.

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Those look surprisingly like thylacine tracks, and there's you hanging out there like a beef taco......
BTW, could you have found a more exposed location...
Cheers
Bloffy

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
If you get me frightened Bloffy, you know what will happen; I'll bring along a knife.
If I bring along a knife...you know the rest

Chris8546

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score

This is where I spent last night (and another dozen or so nights over the last couple of months)!

Never seen another living soul in all that time despite this being less than a 10 minute walk from my house.

Great little spot other than the constant risk of a bush fire (surrounded by knee high bone dry grass) which adds a certain element of risk, stupidity & uncertainty to each overnighter..

Still, better than watching the gogglebox.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I can see a few trees in the pic, are there areas suitable for a hammock?

Chigger

Les Hiddins
Reaction score

This is where I spent last night (and another dozen or so nights over the last couple of months)!

Never seen another living soul in all that time despite this being less than a 10 minute walk from my house.

Great little spot other than the constant risk of a bush fire (surrounded by knee high bone dry grass) which adds a certain element of risk, stupidity & uncertainty to each overnighter..

I would be very happy to have such a secluded spot only 10 mins walk from home. Nice little setup.

Chris8546

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
LOL not really! Most of them are too thin and bendy to support a hammock (with occupant).

The only 2 half decent ones appear to be the ones I camp between. Only problem is they are some kind of Fir trees / Pine trees (that drop cones covered in resin) so certainly not an ideal spot to be hanging from. We all know how well those trees (and the goodies they drop) go up in flames!

I am sure someone can tell me what kind of trees they are.

As I said in all seriousness, a nice little spot - but a bush fire waiting to happen.

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
There’s more to life than a hammock!

Wash your mouth out. Lol.
I'd say a sheoak..
Nice little spot. As .ong as you do the right thing, most people wouldn't complain. Be sensible with fires, keep the area clean (or better than you found it even) and little light at night and you should be pretty right. If you get moved on, smile and wave and find another spot.
See you soon.
Cheers
Bloffy

Chris8546

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Mate, forgot to mention I had a look a week or two back. Plenty of bigger, sturdier trees a bit further on suitable for hammocks. I just originally stopped at the first spot that seemed 'hidden' from view and then kept going back to the same spot each weekend as nobody found me or seemed to be around at night.
I tend to arrive on dark and leave around 7am.
It's quite a big bit of bushland.
If you look at my tent pic again, you can just about see the house roofs in the distance (closest ones are probably 300m away for now but they are still building and getting closer. Mine is probably 400m as the crow flies! In-between the 'spot' and the houses is Old Yanchep Rd - which ends at the entrance to Yanchep NP.
You can drive deep into the bush a bit further down OY Rd and there are occasionally a few 4WD around during the days and evenings, but they can't get too close to my little spot as there are no trails wide enough for vehicles...

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score

Interesting. What tent are you using there? I prefer green. I recently thought of buying a Council Tools Pulowski tool to save me from bush fires by creating a fire break! I don't know how effective it would be in reality though!

Stealth camping is a must for me, wherever I go. I just feel safer. I also feel I can blend in with nature & see more wildlife when camping this way. Other than that its just fun! I think one has to be careful where one chooses to set up camp, for varying reasons. There are videos on YouTube about it.

Here is my Australian Army tarps (pup-tent config.) out in semi-arid Mallee country, at the end of last winter 2018. Can you see it? It is centre screen, behind the red drink crate & partially obscured by the small bush to the left. I know... I had trouble finding it when I took the shot!

Last edited:

Chris8546

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
It's a WildEarth 'Spartan 1 Man Hiking tent' Mate. Pretty light at just over 1.5kg. Goes up in minutes and comes down even faster. I've had a few tents over the years, plus a couple of hammocks and even a swag. This is my favourite by a huge margin.

Combined with a Klymit Static V2 inflatable pad and a fleece pillow, I sleep better outdoors than i do at home.

Chris8546

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Correction:. It's an 'Explore Planet Earth Spartan 1 Man tent'. Purchased from WildEarth...