Out the back door.

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Some of the young Ironbark trees near home have numerous scale insects (with their attendant ants) on them at
the moment. I did have a taste but found it fairly insipid.

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
I have tried that "fluffy" mana too - not so nice, but I guess it contains sugars and starches - which is why the ants like it

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
I think this is the somewhat drought stunted flower of Urena weed, Urena lobata, an introduced weed and a member of the
Hibiscus/Mallow family (Malvaceae) A number of plants in this family are good for cordage and some are edible but Im not sure
about this one.

Recent rain has turned this gum to a gell, this probably means its sugar based but is not necessarily edible.
Its a response to insect attack on a Jacksonia scoparia plant. (native dogwood)

It always amazes me how much useful looking dye comes out of gum leaves onto concrete after soaking rain, this comes from older dead
leaves rather than fresh ones. It probably needs a fixing/mordant for these tannins to permanently dye cloth... a nice bushcraft brown it is too!

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Finally grabbed this carpet snake from my chook pen last night for relocation a couple of km away.
Its already killed one half grow chicken and I keep finding it staring down full grown ones about 1cm from their
head. If it had just stuck to mice I would have left it there but seems to like chicken.

This one is only a youngster yet but had a good go at trying to crush my hand.

AussiePreppers

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Only a couple of KM? It will be back :)

We relocated a large one from ours a few km away, had to navigate a housing estate, over a few roads, AND THE GATEWAY MOTORWAY!~!!! (possibly went under it). There are some linked up pieces of bushland where it could have done most of its journey home.

It was back next season. It had a scar on it where the dog got it... it was the same snake. Didn't bother relocating them after that. I don't usually bother telling the story because it's so unbelievable...

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Funny you should say that AP. I've just found what appears to be an identical snake coiled up in my shed, ...they cant be
that fast surely? 2Km in 18hrs, it should at least be puffing.

AussiePreppers

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Probably not, but you should be able to check out the pattern on it compared to your pics. In summer i'd say it's possible (motivated snake, slight whiffs of home, strong smells of other snakes, etc), but I bet it was a little chilly for some of those 18 hrs in your neck of the woods...

barefoot dave

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
From a mate who is a snake relocater: 6-8km for a carpet python. They are that good!

D

Deleted member 1018

Account Inactive
Superb shots hairy. Very graphic markings. I reckon this is the case too guys. At the beginning of summer my cat appeared with a small red belly black in its mouth, how it wasn't killed by it I don't know. I have heard that cats are reasonably immune to some toxins but i really don't know. I transported it to the other side of the valley(aprox 1.5k) and it was back a couple of weeks ago, same boomerang scar on its neck that the cat made.

I looked at it for a long time and pulled up the photos from before, same snake for sure. I was fascinated before, now i'm hooked on em.

they reckon that reptiles are a very basic animal but they must have some fairly sophisticated systems as far as navigation goes. Certainly better than mine.

AussiePreppers

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Cats aren't immune to snake toxins it's just that the fur can stop the fangs reaching the skin. If you ever look at an elapids fangs they are very small... they really need to clamp down to get past fur / clothing / etc or land a bite on an exposed area like the nose.

bungie

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Have to admit, I really do enjoy your photos and love of what's just out your door Hairyman.

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
It isn't until you get those misty mornings that you can get some appreciation of how many spiders are about, there must be tens of thousands,
maybe more in just a small area of bush. ... and these are only the web making spiders!