Out the back door.

AussiePreppers

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Hairy, did you know the botany bay diamond weevil was the first scientifically described insect in Oz?

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
This Native Dogwood shrub (Jacksonia scoparia) not only exhibited epicormic growth after November storm damage but the hormonally unsuppressed
buds also produced leaves not normally seen on this plant. Usually photosynthetic green stems (pseudo leaves or phyllodes) take the place of real leaves.
DSCF6580 (640x479).jpg
Closeup of the left front palm/flipper of a Burnett River turtle (thumb if they had one, uppermost).
This turtle was found wandering on a gravel road several hundred meters from a small dam. Why?
Claw impressions are evident in their tracks.
DSCF6589 (640x486).jpg

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Hairy, did you know the botany bay diamond weevil was the first scientifically described insect in Oz?
Yes, I had read that in Dusty Miller's database entry for the weevil.
The Australian Museum website says one of the first insects collected by Joseph banks in 1770 with Captain Cook.
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Botany-Bay-Weevil
Who would have thought they would be common at least 1000km away and more from Botany Bay?

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Found this Red Belly in my backyard this morning, I tought it was a bit strange that he would be out so early
as its cool in the mornings here, about 15C. Poked him with a stick ... no response. Picked him up with the stick, limp except for the neck.
Placed him on a stump in the sun to see if he was just cold and got some close up pics.
An hour latter it was obvious he was dead, no marks that I could see, maybe had a fight with another snake?
DSCF6606 (640x416).jpgDSCF6604 (640x415).jpg

Wildfire

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Found this Red Belly in my backyard this morning, I tought it was a bit strange that he would be out so early
as its cool in the mornings here, about 15C. Poked him with a stick ... no response. Picked him up with the stick, limp except for the neck.
Placed him on a stump in the sun to see if he was just cold and got some close up pics.
An hour latter it was obvious he was dead, no marks that I could see, maybe had a fight with another snake?
View attachment 9821View attachment 9822
Time for a hairyman autopsy! very strange mate. Cane toad poisoning? call Miss marple mate she will get to the bottom of it! :)

Last edited:

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
The case of the dead Red Belly .... solved I believe.
In the stomach a young cane toad, not fresh out of the pond but not very old either.
From Wikipedia; "The skin of the adult cane toad is toxic, as well as the enlarged parotoid glands behind the eyes, and other glands across
their backs. When the toads are threatened, their glands secrete a milky-white fluid known as bufotoxin.[42] Components of bufotoxin are
toxic to many animals;[43] there have even been human deaths due to the consumption of cane toads."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cane_toad
Good idea for a post mortem Wildfire!

DSCF6614 (640x455).jpg

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
Hairyman you may need to change from Harry Butler to Quincy M.D.

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Yes, it felt a bit strange cutting into that snake, I knew he was dead but it felt like he could wake up and whip around and bite me.

Its interesting to have a look on outside walls to see what critters take advantage of the insects attracted to lights at night time.
A House centipede (Allothereua maculata?)http://bushcraftoz.com/forums/showthread.php?1391-Allothereua-maculata-(House-Centipede)
IMG_0167 (608x453).jpg
... and a scorpian, not a good pic because the little bugger wouldnt hold still but his shadow says it all.
IMG_0181 (428x320).jpg

AussiePreppers

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Damn I thought the red bellies had learned not to eat the toads, their numbers seemed to be on the rise again...

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Cant edit a post for some reason, above labels for flowers should be switched about.

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Love early mornings in my back yard, either sound softening mists...
DSCF6631 (640x467).jpg
..... or when the air is a bit dryer, the sun lights up the red natal grass spectacularly.
I never sleep in.
DSCF6641 (640x480).jpg

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score

peter.robinson

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
On the honeyeaters track up Mt Coot-tha, I haven't identified these caterpillars yet.
They were clumped together, crossing the track.
any idea what they are?

It's my first photo here so I hope it works

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363692769.961807.jpg