Out the back door.

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
From this morning. An Eastern Water Dragon and camera shy Azure Kingfisher.
IMG_0126 (390x294).jpgIMG_0130 (324x234).jpg

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
A Burnett River turtle eaten by a White Breasted Sea Eagle.
Testament ot the powerful bite of the eagle. I saw no sign on the turtles head that it was killed before it was eaten.
DSCF6239 (640x401).jpg

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
@ Hairyman: Not the most pleasant way to die. Amazed so much of it was left behind. Thanks for sharing but it makes me wonder where you find this stuff. You always seem to be coming up with the rare, interesting and unusual. Whenever I come across something like this I've always forgotten the camera.
Cheers
Bloffy

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Four steps from my back door, an Ornate Burrowing Frog (Opisthodon ornatus)
IMG_0141 (420x312) (2).jpg

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Nice thread mate, do you think this one is edible like other Bidens spp?
Not that I could find after a quick internet search. I wouldnt be suprised, they do look very similar
Google did give this thread as a suggestion so the google arachnid has been crawling over it already.

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
This Redbellied Black Snake (Pseudechis pophyriacus) was caught out in the open so it put on a threat display by flatening its neck, a bit like a cobra.
DSCF6435 (640x368).jpg

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Found these Meat Ants (Iridomyrmex spp.) tending to some aphids or beetle larvae on a wattle tree.
I hadnt seen meat ants have any relationship with other species apart form preditor/prey before.
DSCF6446 (640x488).jpg
The damp weather lets mound building termites extend thier nest. Both workers and soldiers in this pic.
DSCF6451 (640x479).jpg

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
CRIKEY! he looks Cranky! :) Beautiful pics mate!
I didnt try to pic him up or harass him at all, he just had somewhere to go and I was in his way.
He was only a young one a bit over a meter long.
My dog was locked up otherwise I wouldnt go near a red-bellied black or it can end poorly for all of us, dog , snake and me and my wallet
for vet bills.

D

Deleted member 1018

Account Inactive
Hey Hairy, is this the same fruit body that you came across, Found some across my back fence.shroom1.jpgshroom2.jpgshroom3.jpgshroom4.jpg

D

Deleted member 1018

Account Inactive
He he, I know what you mean. I have bought a couple of fungi field guides but it really is a vast field of study. I'm getting hooked though ;)

D

Deleted member 1018

Account Inactive
This Redbellied Black Snake (Pseudechis pophyriacus) was caught out in the open so it put on a threat display by flatening its neck, a bit like a cobra.
View attachment 9687
Thats great, Such a dramatic snake anyway, but never seen one with the flat neck like that. I hope I never do :triste:

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Danus chrysippus, the Lesser Wanderer.
DSCF6500 (640x423).jpg
Mud wasps are very active at the moment collecting damp mud, spiders and caterpillars.
DSCF6506 (640x480).jpg

Dusty Miller

Alexander Pearce
Archivist
Reaction score
Interesting that they only take a certain size of particles, just the fine silt layer at the top, not the slightly coarser material below.