Out the back door.

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Some more birds around home at the moment.
Grey butcherbird.

Welcome swallows.

Rainbow bee-eater.

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
I was wondering why these two corellas were screeching alarm calls on a misty morning last week when a falcon came swooping in.
No kill this time, the corellas were ready for it and the falcon had a magpie on his six.

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
You should bring out a photo book Hairyman. You've got a great eye and take fantastic pics.
Keep them coming.

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Its interesting to watch native bees modify their nest entrance this time of year. This might be as a defence against assassin bugs which are more active now and
like to hang around there.

Got a nice reaction out of the goanna as I was too close to his bolt hole in the tree and his brain took a while to come up with a plan 'B', that is
run up the tree. Sometimes snakes do a similar thing, they might appear to be chasing you but really are single minded about heading for their safe hole
that just happens to be in your direction.

All the local silky oak trees (Grevillea robusta) are in flower around the district at the moment. The flowers produce a sweet nectar but a warning ..... form Wikipedia....
"Grevillea flowers were a traditional favourite among Aborigines for their sweet nectar. This could be shaken onto the hand to enjoy, or into a coolamon with a little water to make a sweet drink. They might be referred to as the original "bush lollies".
Drinking nectar direct from the flower is best avoided as some commonly cultivated Grevillea species produce flowers containing toxic cyanide."

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
great timing on the Goanna, were you wearing a silly hat because it looks like hes laughing

*bit of useless info for the day >>> 30 species of goanna are known, 25 of which are found in Australia*

i found some native bees in a wattle tree trunk a few weeks back, the smell in the air was awesome sweet,
council has been cleaning up small forest areas, alas they must of seen the bees, they are now gone :_s: or they swarmed

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Last edited:

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
The very dry conditions continue around home.

I have never seen this small dam dry before.

The 'lawn' under the clothes line, ....the only thing stopping dune formation is a lack of wind.

A miserable crop from my bush lemon tree, one fruit in a good year fills the hand.

Apart from goannas and ants, some of the few signs of bioactivity are tree and prickly pair flowering....

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Found another chert core with a few flakes removed and some distinctive step fractures.

Carpet snake waiting for a mother hen to move so it can snavel some chicks (abt 10pm).

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
This Sulphur-crested cockatoo really doesn't like goannas, its going crook at one just below in the grass.

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
With the first decent rain for months animal and plant life has sprung into activity.

Huntsman, many land inverts seem to be very hairy.

An unidentified plant I think from the pea family.

A wee moth, note fringed wings, for stealth?

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Plenty of insect activity at the moment.....
There must be hundreds of thousands of these black caterpillars feeding on Eucalypts near home.

... and plenty of other types.

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Found and photographed 2 new species for near home yesterday.
Cyclorana alboguttata, A Green-striped Burrowing Frog.

and Junonia orithya, A Blue argus butterfly.

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
A male Common eggfly butterfly.

A Convolvus Hawk moth on my gourd flowers, their proboscis is longer than their body. Very much like a humming bird.

A nightjar.