Out the back door.

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
For a long time I thought this white and red moth, Donovan's Tiger Moth (Aloa marginata) was the adult of Cactoblastis cactorum, commonly known as the Cactus Moth,
that was imported into Australia to combat the invasive prickly pear, because it resembles the cactus moth's larvae. But it isn't, its a native moth.
http://lepidoptera.butterflyhouse.com.au/arct/margin.html

There are a few moths coming out at the moment, large and small, which is a bit surprising as temps are a bit on the cool side at night here.
This one was a large one. A Swift moth, Abantiades labyrinthicus. http://strathbogierangesnatureview.wordpress.com/2013/02/21/swift-moths-theyre-large-impressive-but-look-closely/

Last edited:

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Warm days for this time of year have stimulated swarms of (non-biting) midges. .....Last night under an outside yellow insect light.

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
I have noticed these ground lichens 'deploy' on moist mornings and shrivel up as the day goes on and morning dew drys.
First pic taken about 8am, second pic taken about 2pm.

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
The colour of termite nests can be a good indication of soil type.
The first over a strip of red soil, the second and third over granitic sandy loam.

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
A hairy caterpillar on wattle.

... and some bush tucker in season at the moment.
Cherry Ballart.

Winter Apple or Debil Debil.

...and Saloop, a saltbush. Very small fruit but tasty. Note Goosefoot shaped leaves.

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Went for a walk in a stand of red ash and wattle near home today and encountered a mixed flock of birds searching
for insects, willie wag tails, grey fantails, bronze cuckoos, silver eyes and this pallid cuckoo.
DSCF2840 (800x600).jpg
This silcrete had a nice fossil root cast that included fine detail of the root bark.
DSCF2868 (800x599).jpg
DSCF2833 (800x598).jpg

Last edited:

AussiePreppers

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
The last picture of ants, they are probably Red Spider Ants. Love the bird shot, can't say i've ever seen one before.

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
This shot of a rabbit was taken through my kitchen window. I suspect it has young somewhere near.

Everywhere I look, I find life. ... under a red ash leaf....

Brumby53

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
A Contrast in Climates... Between SE Qld where you are and here on the Central Tablelands NSW @ 900m
While it has been "Spring Like" the last couple of days here I am not getting too excited nor are the Swallows just yet
We have a pair that have stayed all winter (Unusual) but I doubt they will attempt a nest until at least the end of August.

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
Very true Hairyman been observing many myself Wedge tails, Willie Wagtails, Striated Pardalotes, Crows and the lists continue here so does the photography

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Laetiporus portentosus?.... a tinder fungus. Just need to find a fresher one that hasn't been eaten out by insects.

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Laetiporus portentosus?.... a tinder fungus. Just need to find a fresher one that hasn't been eaten out by insects.
The "eaten" ones are better for tinder. The numerous holes allow it to dry out and it should catch a spark as is. Forget a "fresh" one !

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Of the 8 or 9 species of wattle within a couple of hundred meters of my home I have only IDed 2 or 3.
They take turns at flowering, I will take careful note of the flowers, leaves or phyolodes and seeds and pods when they develop to try to match them
to the 30 or 40 species on my local area list. This one in flower at the moment.

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Signs of recent rain.

Flowering at the moment, Hovea spp and Sonchus oleraceus, common sowthistle.