Out the back door.

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
I'm very fortunate to live in the bush. Its just outside my back (and front) door.
I can go for a four hour walk or a half hour walk and I always find something interesting.
Here is a pic of a hazard reduction fire in December last year with a pic of the same trees yesterday.
DSCF5105 (640x480).jpgDSCF6035 (640x502).jpg

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
A small dung beetle has trouble rolling a rabbit pellet because its not uniformly round.
IMG_0116 (431x310).jpg
A small fragment of agate, likely waste from Aboriginal tool manufacture.
DSCF6077 (640x449).jpg

Redtail

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
That type of growth is known as "epicormic". It's the tree's way of maximising surface area for photosynthesis so it can recover quickly and start growing after extreme stress, such as fire. Once the normal branches and tips start growing, the epicormic shoots will drop off.
Wildlife loves the juicy new stuff, too. Nature's way of encouraging them back into the devastated landscape.
The wildlife will munch away, poo out whatever they've already eaten - like seeds from another area - and off goes the cycle again.
Ain't life on Earth fascinating?

gelandangan

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
I think the amount of rainfall these last few months helps a lot in the regrowth too.

swampy99

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
That type of growth is known as "epicormic". It's the tree's way of maximising surface area for photosynthesis so it can recover quickly and start growing after extreme stress, such as fire. Once the normal branches and tips start growing, the epicormic shoots will drop off.
Wildlife loves the juicy new stuff, too. Nature's way of encouraging them back into the devastated landscape.
The wildlife will munch away, poo out whatever they've already eaten - like seeds from another area - and off goes the cycle again.
Ain't life on Earth fascinating?
Untill you stick humans in the mix and we will destroy and consume then move on which is a shame.

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
We used to be an important part of the bush cycle. Aboriginal people would patchwork burn an area which increased growth and improved hunting etc while reducing the deadfall and fire load. I t wasn't until humans STOPPED burning the bush that we had any probs. Always good to see that flush of growth in a burnt area.
@ Redtail: Thanks for the explanation.
Cheers
Bloffy

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
A sign of rain coming? Ants build high rise.
DSCF5886 (640x479).jpg
A young rednecked wallaby looks anxiously for its mother on the other side of the road behind me.
DSCF5937 (640x480).jpg

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
An earwig.
DSCF6113 (640x450).jpg
Fungi fruiting bodies growing out of the side of an old cowpat.
DSCF6115 (640x640).jpg

Dutchman

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Nice pics Hairyman!
Once again the fungi prove themself as perfect photomodels.
The Earwig ( we call it a "oorworm") is a nasty looking fella...

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Native cobblers peg, cobblers tack, Glossocardia bidens. family: Asteraceae an Australian native.
DSCF6039 (640x502).jpg
Yet another bandicoot skull, this one somewhat weathered and the back broken out perhaps by a bird of prey to extract the brains.
DSCF6074 (640x480).jpg

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
This morning , before the rain began... a greycrowned babbler in alarm mode due to the close proximity of my dog.
knowing the alarm calls of different bird species can alert you to the presence of predators such as cats, dogs, foxes, snakes
goanas and birds of prey.
DSCF6137 (640x469).jpg
A lone magpie goose and several other waterbirds beside a small dam.
DSCF5942 (640x480).jpg

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
What are the little black story long beaked birds bottom centre of Picture?

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Glossy Ibis. They are a little smaller than the more common straw-necked ibis.

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
Thanks Hairyman they just looked so so small against the magpie goose

darren

Templar
Reaction score
Lucky Country, where the geckos are paid to l
This is a great thread topic mate, and well worth adopting by others including myself. I was standing in my driveway in the dark last night trying to get phone reception and was surrounded by my family of wallabies and i heard a scratching sound on the gravel and looked down an there was an echidna at my feet oblivious to me. I tought about this thread then and that we dont have to go too far to find nature at its best.

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
This morning was what the Irish call a 'soft' day, that is fine misty rain, not wet enough to keep you inside but enough to make you damp.
As I walked passed my dog laying on the concrete she got up to follow me and revealed this dog rainshadow.
DSCF6187 (640x480).jpg
With a cleansing fire through the bush and lots of rain, wildflowers have been stimulated into bloom.
This one is a Bulbine spp possibly B. alata or B. vagans; family Xanthorrhoeaceae, sub family Asphodelaceae
The bulbous roots of the related B. bulbosa are edible.
DSCF6201 (640x479).jpg

D

Deleted member 1018

Account Inactive
Great stuff hairy, the dog rainshadow magic, keep em comin.

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
I have found two more species of wildflowers within 100m of my house.

Goodenia rotundifolia, Round Leaf Goodenia, Family; Goodeniaceae.
DSCF6050 (640x461).jpg

Not Patersonia sericea, Native Iris, family Iridaceae. edit not P. sericea but Murdannia graminea, Slug Herb. family (CAMPANULACEAE, COMMELINACEAE)
DSCF6079 (640x513).jpg

Last edited: