BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This forum is currently closed to new user registrations. You are welcome to browse the forum as a guest and existing users may still login with their existing credential's to post on the forum.

• As of the 01/01/2023 the Bushcraft Oz Forum is now closed and has been placed in Archive mode. New Posts and Post Replies have been disabled but existing content can still be viewed. For more information please see the following post for more infomation. It is our goal to retain the wondeful contributions to the Bushcraft community over the years and a more appropriate way of displaying this is being considered for the future so the information is not lost. A perminent web archive of the forum state as of 30 Jan 2022 has been captured and can be viewed herea>.

Thank you all for a wonderful adventure and for your contributions over the years!

Opinel VS Opinel

old4570

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
So I own a few Opinel knives ..
What I'm going to do , is compare a Opinel No9 in Stainless against another No9 in Carbon . ( That's blade steel ) .

Initial impressions ...
Well the Carbon seems to sharpen a little better than the Stainless , and strop a little better .
And the Carbon feels a little better slicing paper .
Both knives were sharpened on the 60 grit wheel ( wet stone grinder ) , same angle , and stropped the same .
The blades are very thin and flex quite a bit , which can be a little problematic . ( Too much flex )
Opinel knives are held in high regard by many , so which is better ?

Le Loup

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
So I own a few Opinel knives ..
What I'm going to do , is compare a Opinel No9 in Stainless against another No9 in Carbon . ( That's blade steel ) .

Initial impressions ...
Well the Carbon seems to sharpen a little better than the Stainless , and strop a little better .
And the Carbon feels a little better slicing paper .
Both knives were sharpened on the 60 grit wheel ( wet stone grinder ) , same angle , and stropped the same .
The blades are very thin and flex quite a bit , which can be a little problematic . ( Too much flex )
Opinel knives are held in high regard by many , so which is better ?
I am surprised that your Opinel blades flex, mine do not flex at all. I have an 8, a 10, & the largest folder they make. I daresay I could make them flex if I tried hard enough, but in normal use or even testing by hand, these blades have very little flex at all.
Good knives though, simple & nice to use.
Keith.
Gully Knife & Clasp Knife 2.JPG

Last edited:

old4570

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Yeah , you really feel the flex when stropping ..

old4570

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
HRC testing
Both knives were on the softer side for blade steel .. 55HRC file bites and 50HRC file skates .
Both knives took about the same effort to strop back . And both knives lost edge at the point of slicing rope , about the same ( Feels like )

Now ..
The edges were fresh 60 grit ( wet stone grinder ) ground edges .
Both got the same effort etc .
In the past , I simply dont remember ... ( Edge retention ) But I was not overly impressed with a conventional edge .

60 grit ( wet stone grinder )

Stainless steel failed at 250 slices .. The edge just faded away without rolling .
Where the big surprise was , the carbon blade just blew my mind !
Carbon blade failed at some 500 slices . Yeah ............. ! It just faded without rolling .
That carbon blade just loved the 60 grit wheel ! ( Hell , I love it too )

And it took about the same effort stropping to restore both edges ..

So ?

Last edited: