Online Journals of Australian Land and Sea Explorers and Discoverers

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The following is a list of online HTML versions of journals of Australian land and sea explorers and discoverers which also include the original illustrations as seen in the book. The documents are hosted on behalf of Project Gutenberg Australia. The ebooks on this site are in the public domain in Australia (not subject to copyright in Australia) and may be read and downloaded without charge. Journals are listed alphabetically by surname. Click on the explorer's name to see an image of the explorer, biographical information, and a sketch map of the routes travelled.

---------------

Gregory BLAXLAND (1778-1853)

• The Journal of Gregory Blaxland, 1813 (1913)--Text-- ZIP--HTML--ZIPPED HTML Includes a number of photographs taken in 1913, at the time of the centenary of the crossing, edited by Frank Walker (1861-1948)
    (Incorporating "Journal of a Tour of Discovery Across the Blue Mountains, NSW, in the year 1813".)
David CARNEGIE (1871-1900)

William CARRON (1821-1876) (A survivor of Kennedy's Expedition to Cape York in 1848)

• Narrative of an Expedition Undertaken Under the Direction of E. B. Kennedy (1849)--Text--ZIP
James COOK (1728-1779)

William DAMPIER (1651-1715)

Edward John EYRE (1815-1901)

Matthew FLINDERS (1774-1814)

John and Alexander FORREST

Ernest GILES

Frank and Augustus GREGORY

George GREY

William HOVELL and Hamilton HUME

Alexander and Frank JARDINE

Phillip Parker KING

William LANDSBOROUGH

Ludwig LEICHHARDT

David LINDSAY

John MacGILLIVRAY

John McKINLAY

Thomas MITCHELL

John OXLEY

John Lort STOKES

• Discoveries in Australia, with an Account of the Coasts and Rivers Explored and Surveyed During the Voyage of H.M.S. Beagle, in the Years 1837-38-39-40-41-42-43. Also a Narrative of Captain Owen Stanley's Visits to the Islands in the Arafura Sea.)Volume 1 Volume 2

John McDouall STUART

Charles STURT

Abel TASMAN

Frederick WALKER

Peter Warburton

William John WILLS

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
Thanks Blake
There a few there i still needed I think.
The great thing about these old journals even though some of what is written needs further verifing but info on what they took and the reasons are just great. For example in the Spinifex and Sand he mentions the carry of iron water vessels and the reason over the timber barrels. Priceless

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1018

Account Inactive
Superb resource link Blake, got some leave time coming up and can't wait to get stuck into them.

AussiePreppers

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Has anyone read through these in detail? I've been skimming through them after some specific info about inventories, pack contents, drawings of items carried, tools, and any lists available from shops at the time. My interest was raised from Dave Canterbury's series on the same but for American pioneers...

Mickldo

Ray Mears
Reaction score
I have read the Ernest Giles one and the Ludwig Leichhardt one. I found them on Google Play as free books to download on my phone. Great to see a complete list. I'll have to read some more of these when I get some free time.