BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This forum is currently closed to new user registrations. You are welcome to browse the forum as a guest and existing users may still login with their existing credential's to post on the forum.

old US FOREST SERVICE PACK Gets New lease on life

woodsrunner

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
A Good friend of mine gifted me this very old and rustic US Forest Service pack that will easily date back to the 1930's
the lid straps were mssing and the shoulder straps terminated at a location that the buckles would dig into the wearer's lower back...ouch!

the canvas needed waxing and i also added twelve D rings with cordage to the sides to act as compression straps
i then added an ajustible leather compression strap with buckles to the top of each side of the pack.
the canvas is in excellent condition and took the wax/oil mixture beautifully.

i made new top lid straps and relocated those troublesome shoulder strap buckles to the sides of the pack...much better!!!

here are some picks before and after
these are the before photos:

016-11.jpg

017-11.jpg

018-9.jpg

here you can see those pesky rollerbuckles
you can imagine how those things would dig into the kidney's of some hapless wearer!

019-11.jpg

Here you can just make out the us forest service logo

020-10.jpg

These are the after photos
here i made and attatched new straps for the top lid using copper rivets

007-19.jpg

and the compression straps and d rings were hand stitched using heavy wax string through four layers of canvas

005-21.jpg

and of course the new and relocated shoulder strap buckles

003-24.jpg

001-26.jpg

004-23.jpg

i have since attached the pack to a Trapper Nelson packboard, have used it several times

Here is the pack attatched to a Trapper Nelson frame from the forties

007-20.jpg

so far it has worked out great!!!...thanks fer lookin!...woods

Last edited:

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
That pack is like a work of art..!!Where do I place my order..?:linguino:

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
What a great bush pack. Would fit enough in there for 72 hours yet simple lines. Love the compression straps you added. Gives so much flexibility to your load out. If you had a small three-sided open-top pocket at the base of the pack you could slide a water bladder down there or anything else that might slip through like you fire bow kit etc.
I'm not familiar with the Trapper Nelson frame. It looks like just a square frame? Does it have a padded back like the Alice Frame?
Nice restoration job, mate.
Cheers
Bloffy

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
New life for an old pack. Great work.

Can you show us the frame too, it looks interesting ?

woodsrunner

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Last edited:

woodsrunner

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
What a great bush pack. Would fit enough in there for 72 hours yet simple lines. Love the compression straps you added. Gives so much flexibility to your load out. If you had a small three-sided open-top pocket at the base of the pack you could slide a water bladder down there or anything else that might slip through like you fire bow kit etc.
I'm not familiar with the Trapper Nelson frame. It looks like just a square frame? Does it have a padded back like the Alice Frame?
Nice restoration job, mate.
Cheers
Bloffy
Thanks amigo! the pack is not yet finished Bloffy...that pocket is a good idea, except the shoulder straps terminate at that location...i am going to add a pocket beneath the top lid and leather gear patches to the top and bottom of the bag...i could add that small side pocket, still you just couldn't keep yer marbles in it...LOL...woods

D

Deleted member 1018

Account Inactive
Wow mate, that's a great looking pack. I have a bunch of heavy truck tarp canvas that I want to make into a pack. A fairly simple design could be a good starting point. So many ideas, such little ability.:_lol::_lol::

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
Woodsrunner nice pack indeed , I love the mods you done and what are the dimensions of the pack if you don't mind me asking

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
i am going to add a pocket beneath the top lid and leather gear patches to the top and bottom of the bag...i could add that small side pocket, still you just couldn't keep yer marbles in it...LOL...woods

Woods, I lost my marbles years ago. Just ask My Long Suffering But Ever Loving Wife. I'm sure she'd LOVE to tell you.
Maybe you could get a Bushcraftoz patch just to give it that stamp of approval.
By the way, just how many packs do you have mate? You've got 35 posts up and I think I've seen about 7 different packs in that time....
Mrs Woodsrunner must be most forgiving or understanding.
Just off now to havee a browse of those attached sites.
Cheers
Bloffy

Taplow

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Great job Woods! I love old packs.
+1 about the dimensions - would you say it's a 30 or 40L pack? How comfortable is it now with a full load?

woodsrunner

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Woodsrunner nice pack indeed , I love the mods you done and what are the dimensions of the pack if you don't mind me asking
thanks auscraft! dimemsions are 18"tall X 15" wide X 7" deep...though being canvas, it will hold more than its material dimensions would indicate...woods
p.s. later i'll post a few loadout pics if you like

Last edited:

woodsrunner

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Great job Woods! I love old packs.
+1 about the dimensions - would you say it's a 30 or 40L pack? How comfortable is it now with a full load?
thanks Taplow...the pack measures out at just about 31 liters
it is quite comfy to carry several miles with about twenty pounds...the heavy canvas straps are wide enough to distribute the weight quite nicely...i'll do some loadout shots next to a GAMP
thanks again...woods

woodsrunner

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
hears my loadout starting at the top left to right
please note i carry my GI canteen (not pictured) with cup and stand on my belt
three season sleeping bag
poncho liner (aka woobie) inside a hammock stuffsack
ENO tarp with cordage
doublewide Hamaka hammock in own stuffsack
extra wool socks and mittens
blaze orange stocking cap
usgi poncho
first aid kit inside white plastic container
toilet paper
2 liter billy (with four packets of instant oatmeal, two packs of ramon noodles and coffee inside billy)
tomahawk
mora
i don't show a headlamp which i also carry and i always have a bic lighter in my pocket as a backup to friction fire/ but only as a backup!

008-20.jpg

and here it is packed to the gills...Note:with the frame i have plenty room left beneath the pack to lash the sleeping bag to it,
that would free up a lot of room iin the pack.

009-23.jpg

here it is loaded and standing next to an empty pack most of you are...
already familiar with, german alpine ruck.

011-17.jpg

hear is the german ruck carrying that same loadout

012-16.jpg

and a couple shots of how the forest service pack carries...i am 5' 10" 180 lbs

004-24.jpg

005-22.jpg

the german pack still had a bit of room in one of the pockets for a water bottle.
but the forest service pack with the trapper nelson frame carried much better.
please note that i used an alice waistbelt on the frame, but even without the waistbelt, that pack carries much better!
hope that helps fellas
again thanks fer lookin!...woods

woodsrunner

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
HaHa! Bloffy "i new you were tribal" reckon in answer to your question about haw many packs i have, i can tell you this...
i recently got rid off all three of my frost river packs, i also had two eagle industries Becker Patrol Packs, i dumped those as well.
unfortunately i allowed myself to become stuck in that gear whore trend, and figured i would purge myself of the trendy stuff.

i still own a fairly large number of packs, though most of those packs are inexpensive and ive always been a lover of backpacks.
if i had to guess on a number i would guess 12...ranging in price from 2.00 - 65.00 Bucks...later amigo...woods

Benny

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Great work mate, she should serve you well for a very long time.