BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oiling an Axe handle

Teco

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone has used eucalyptus oil to treat a wooden axe handle? Or if anyone knows how well it would work.

Teco

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone has used eucalyptus oil to treat a wooden axe handle? Or if anyone knows how well it would work.
Also, is it able to be extracted in the same way that birch oil is?

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
I suppose you could use it on an axe handle, but im not sure i would like the concentrate on my hands long term,
most use pure Tung Oil, for me i have cedar furniture so i just use the Teak Oil i have on hand.

Teco

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Yes it is steam distilled the same.
Cheers mate, I was more talking about stuffing a tin with a hole in the bottom, digging a hole and placing a tin at the bottom of said hole with a fire above, it draws out birch oil

Teco

Russell Coight
Reaction score
I suppose you could use it on an axe handle, but im not sure i would like the concentrate on my hands long term,
most use pure Tung Oil, for me i have cedar furniture so i just use the Teak Oil i have on hand.
Alright thanks mate, I might have to invest in some

Teco

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Cheers mate, I was more talking about stuffing a tin with a hole in the bottom, digging a hole and placing a tin at the bottom of said hole with a fire above, it draws out birch oil
*stuffing it with bark

Kindliing

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Don’t know the answer to that , would be a good thing to know . years ago I met an old timer who made strong eucalyptus oil , though I didn’t learn his secrets .remember him saying you can rub it into the soles of your feet and it will draw out the flu/cold .

I used store bought boiled linseed oil on the axe handle .

Teco

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Don’t know the answer to that , would be a good thing to know . years ago I met an old timer who made strong eucalyptus oil , though I didn’t learn his secrets .remember him saying you can rub it into the soles of your feet and it will draw out the flu/cold .

I used store bought boiled linseed oil on the axe handle .
Yeah I reckon it would be a wonderful thing to be able to make at home, I might just have to do that

Kindliing

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Yeah I reckon it would be a wonderful thing to be able to make at home, I might just have to do that
I only recall a 44 gallon drum stuffed with gum tree leaves , sorry can't be of more help , would be interested to find out too if you do figure it out and want to let us know how it goes .

Teco

Russell Coight
Reaction score
I only recall a 44 gallon drum stuffed with gum tree leaves , sorry can't be of more help , would be interested to find out too if you do figure it out and want to let us know how it goes .
Yeah for sure dude

Wudwas

Russell Coight
Reaction score
How'd you go, did you try the birch oil extract technique with Eucalypt? I'm pretty sure you'll get something, although it won't be lamp oil, obviously.
We've distilled euc oil a few times with a small glass still.