Oil Cloth making - Help needed

Markie D

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Howdy,
Does anyone have an idea of how to make an oil cloth?
I am pretty good around a sawing machine, so i would like to try to make a custom single man tent out of cotton then treat it to turn it into Oil Cloth,
information varies quite a bit. Just looking for some information from someone who has tried this before and had some success.

Markie D.

Randall

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
This is a good read, from back in the day (relatively speaking), and from one of the big names of the day. There's also this discussion. I remember the paddy pallin canvas tents - they were still around when I started hiking as a teenager. They had no floor and you had to make your own poles each night. Apparently the green type canvas is treated by the willesden process (mentioned in the first link?).

Markie D

Les Stroud
Reaction score
This is a good read, from back in the day (relatively speaking), and from one of the big names of the day. There's also this discussion. I remember the paddy pallin canvas tents - they were still around when I started hiking as a teenager. They had no floor and you had to make your own poles each night. Apparently the green type canvas is treated by the willesden process (mentioned in the first link?).
Thanks Randall, These threads seem quite helpful.