Nylon zip maintenance

Randall

Ray Mears
Reaction score
The only purchase I've made from drop arrived today - it's a very light weight, highly breathable and waterproof rain coat. It was made for climbers so has no pockets low down, which works with packs too. I have a heavier jacket that is tough enough to handle dolerite rock of the mountains here, but this light one is for when I think I might need a coat or for day walks. Any way reviewers have whinged about the zip being tight and hard to use. I've always maintained zips with armorall protectorant, or some other brand variant. Piece of cake. Put some protectorant in a bottle top, use a cotton wool bud to apply it to the zip while the zip is closed. It's kind of like zip lube, but also helps heal nylon. It's awesome stuff. I do all my pack zips, jacket zips etc, even tents.

barra650

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
The only purchase I've made from drop arrived today - it's a very light weight, highly breathable and waterproof rain coat. It was made for climbers so has no pockets low down, which works with packs too. I have a heavier jacket that is tough enough to handle dolerite rock of the mountains here, but this light one is for when I think I might need a coat or for day walks. Any way reviewers have whinged about the zip being tight and hard to use. I've always maintained zips with armorall protectorant, or some other brand variant. Piece of cake. Put some protectorant in a bottle top, use a cotton wool bud to apply it to the zip while the zip is closed. It's kind of like zip lube, but also helps heal nylon. It's awesome stuff. I do all my pack zips, jacket zips etc, even tents.
I'll give that a go . I am assuming it's the normal armorall we use on our vehicles .

Randall

Ray Mears
Reaction score
I'll give that a go . I am assuming it's the normal armorall we use on our vehicles .
Yes, the protectant that you put on vinyls and plastics. It's great on weathered vinyl and plastics too. And if you have those rain proof type zips that are almost completely covered on the outside - it pays to coat the plastic covering as well. That plastic covering causes a lot of friction - armorall relieves that. It's something that you usually see on high end raincoats. If I can get to the inside of the zip (turn the jacket inside out) and lube the zip teeth that way, otherwise you have to lube each side while the zip is open.

Last edited: