NSW Sydney based meet

Bloozz

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Wenty, would you do Belangalo as a day trip on Saturday? I'm planning only for Saturday including staying for dinner & chat and then come home late. So those that want to camp still can and those of us that can't just leave early. It would be great to still catch up with you both.

As for others, can we make a decision. The mountains appear to be a no-go. Shall we go to Belangalo? Old Pine Road? Who is coming to the meet? When would people get there? I'd probably get there around 10.30 - 11.

Last edited:

Lepmeister

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Smartee and I will be there later in the afternoon.

Still yet to decide on what sleep option to go with... Nylon Baker tent, Canvas Baker tent, Pup tent, Bivi, the Henry Shire original tarp tent design i made and still havn't used or Hammock! And you thought getting a location sorted was the hard part.

Taplow

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
I'll be there mid afternoon.

I'll keep my options open regarding sleep set up, but I hope to find some good hammocking trees.

Bloozz

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
OK, well I'm not going to rush to get there too early plus I'm still not exactly sure whether it's going to be obvious where to camp on Old Pine Rd so I'll aim for early to mid afternoon. Keep your eye open for a silver Commodore that may look lost.

Lepmeister

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
lets get a roll call happening..

Who's in?

Bloozz
Taplow
Smartee

And pre location change we also had
Mozzie
Kiwibro
And possable Tamar 2

Bloozz

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Mozzie has told me she isn't coming.

I'm not overnighting but hopefully will hang around for a while after dinner.

Taplow

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
That's a bummer! I'm almost packed and have made arrangements so I'll still go. I'm taking my four-legged hiking mate so I won't be alone if it's just me. She struggles a bit with the hand drill but otherwise copes quite well.

Last edited:

Bloozz

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
So I got out to Old Pine Rd about 3.30 and Taplow was already there. We chatted for over an hour and did a show and tell of some of our gear and swapped a few bushcrafty tales.

Here we are in front of Taplows hammock
image.jpg

Here's another one of Taplow and then a 'ready for action' shot of me with Taplow's very sweet four legged camping buddy.
image1.jpg image2.jpg

(Darn it - the photos aren't the right way around AGAIN)

My two hours in the bush was very therapeutic (I retired yesterday and so I'm trying to get into relaxed mode now), it was a really nice day but was cooling down by 5ish.

Hopefully Taplow will take up the story from here to tell us about his night and morning.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry couldn't get there guys, it was a top day too.......we were out scrub bashing down Kangaroo Valley way ( shorts and prickle bush yiiikks)

Happy retirement Bloozz will catch up in the next few weeks hey :;):

Last edited:

Taplow

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Great choice of venue Lep - I'll come here again!

1 road.jpg

17 trees.jpg

It was also great to meet up with Bloozz and compare notes on packs, knives, saws, stoves, grills and more - the time just flew. After Bloozz set off again, I prepared for dinner. Practiced my bow drill skills and after 2-3 attempts manged to get an ember.

2 bow drill kit.jpg

3 ember1.jpg

Transferred this to charcloth so I would get several goes at lighting my tinder as necessary - good thing I did so as it took several attempts!

4 fire1.jpg

Used my fire to cook some old favourites - gilled salmon and apple custard! No pics of my pasta chicken as I cheated and used my gas stove.

5 fish1.jpg

6 fish2.jpg

7fish3.jpg

8 billy tripod.jpg

9 apple custard.jpg

Next morning I started the fire using my flint and steel kit. My tinder was a bit damp so I used some of Lep's fatwoood to help it along - works like petrol!

10 flint.jpg

11 flint ember.jpg

12 fat wod shavings.jpg

12.5 fire2.jpg

Used my take-down grill for the first time. Slid logs in and out underneath it to regulate the heat.

dissassemb.jpg

13 assembled rack.jpg

14 eggs.jpg

The grill buckled a bit in the heat and lost a couple of cross pieces, but generally worked well.

15 bent rack.jpg

Finally had a go at carving a try stick. A bit rough and ready but enjoyed using this knife - it carves nicely.

16 Try stick.jpg

It would have been nice to catch up with other BCOz members but I wasn't completely alone

chill.jpg

Last edited:

Bloozz

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Nice pics Taplow. Nice work with the fire too. Did it get very cold during the night? You obviously survived it OK. I agree about the site, it's lovely to sit under the trees on the green grass without too many other people around. I didn't notice if there is a loo there on Old Pine Rd - is there?

Taplow

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Thanks Bloozz - I've just added more pics as I hit the submit button too early. It wasn't that cold although I did wear my merino thermals in my sleeping bag, and used lots of insulation under my hammock.

Last edited:

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice pics Bloozz and Taplow.
Great work on the try stick and the salmon too.