NSW / Sydney Area Meet

Event type

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Qually

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I haven't been there for years, but we always used to camp at the big site in Ashscrub track, its native and not pine too. Its the clearing in the centre of this screen grab.Screen Shot 2016-07-17 at 9.23.09 pm.jpg

Probably enough room for 15 tents.

Last edited:

apsilon

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
We can take a look at that site. Given it's a firetrail how suitable is it to road cars? Always a factor for group meets.

So what's the final role call for this weekend? Taplow, Lepmeister and myself? Could be a little damp with current forecast for clearing shower Sat and possible shower Sun. Top of 11 and low of 1 across the weekend but we all know how reliable the forecast is a week out.

Lepmeister

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
The roads / trails down there are in good condition, no problem for 2wd sedan on the areas I have been.

I'm in for sure!

I'll bring a few extra tarps so we can make a group shelter if need be.

Not all the roads are this good but to give you an idea.... this is Dalys Rd about 1k past the main camping area. Dont worry, I don't plan on breaking my car!

a.jpg

Last edited:

Taplow

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Yes I'm in. Trying to decide on tent vs hammock. Think I'll bring both.

The jerky recipe varies a bit with each batch. This one had soy sauce, ketchup, brown sugar, garlic Chilli and onion salt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

apsilon

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Looks like it's just the 3 of us then.

As for roads, I have a 4WD so no issues but being the thoughtful kind hearted person I am, I always think of others. LOL.

I'm bringing a new tent, one I purchased when I sold the camper trailer specifically for car based camping. It's one of those 30 second Oztents and I haven't had a chance to use it yet. I've been having some hip discomfort the past few days and so not sure the hammock would be a good idea as I can't move around as easily through the night and I toss and turn at the best of times. I will almost certainly bring it though as I haven't had a chance to use it "in the wild" either so will be looking to pick up some set up tips.

Lepmeister

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I've got hammock gear to test out so that's what I'll be bringing :)

Jerky sounds nice. I have a dehydrator just never got around to using it.

Lepmeister

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Looks like it's just the 3 of us then.

As for roads, I have a 4WD so no issues but being the thoughtful kind hearted person I am, I always think of others. LOL.

I'm bringing a new tent, one I purchased when I sold the camper trailer specifically for car based camping. It's one of those 30 second Oztents and I haven't had a chance to use it yet. I've been having some hip discomfort the past few days and so not sure the hammock would be a good idea as I can't move around as easily through the night and I toss and turn at the best of times. I will almost certainly bring it though as I haven't had a chance to use it "in the wild" either so will be looking to pick up some set up tips.
All round nice bloke! That's what I like to see :)

Looking for ward to checking out all the new gear!

Taplow

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Hope you guys don't mind if I bring my four legged friend:

chill.jpg

Taplow

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Yes well spotted - the Old Pine Rd site last year. Hope we find something similar.

And yes, she's a Goldie. Chilli is very well-behaved but loves any attention.

Taplow

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Haha!

Showed Mrs Taplow the picture of Parker - if he was coming then she'd forget she was not the camping-in-winter type and come just to meet him!

apsilon

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
No, we're not missing in Belanglo. Had a few busy days upon returning to work so haven't had a chance to post before now.

Many thanks to Lepmeister for suggesting the get together and Taplow for coming along (with four legged companion). I thinks it's safe to say we had a great time. Sat was a little windy and we couldn't use the famed Old Pine Rd site but we found a nice little spot that was reasonably sheltered even if it were a bit lacking for useable firewood. We avoided the forecast possible showers and had fine weather and best of all didn't have any trees fall on us (though we saw several down). Sun morning was a little cool (lowest I saw on my thermometer was 1.9) but the wind had gone and we had beautiful blue skies.

Got to try out a new tent, the Oztent RV1 (definitely a car camping only option) which impressed me along with a new mattress (Exped Synmat UL M W) which proved comfortable and never had any feeling of cold from the ground though my Snugpak Jungle Blanket and single wool blanket proved a bit cool around 2am and had to put on some extra layers. First real test of my Bob Dustrude Folding Buck Saw but as expected from a bow saw it made short work of cutting down the wood to more manageable sizes. Didn't get a chance to try several of the new toys so they'll have to wait for the next trip and also spotted a few things amongst my kit that needs tweaking for the next outing.

I didn't take any photos really but I know Lepmeister did so I'm sure he'll post some soon. Looking forward to the next outing now.

Taplow

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
I had a great time - just too short! Really like the cosy new spot that apsilon and Lepmeister had found - great job guys! The wind got me worried about whether my hammock set up would be warm enough at night so I put up my tent as well. Then we spent quite some time hunting for firewood - the other two ended up driving out of the pine forest to find some decent hardwood. Finally I spent much of the evening cooking.

I ate so much - starting with grilled fish, then a curry in the camp oven with rice, with some of Lep's excellent bannock for desert, all washed down with tea and finally some port and a cigar - I had to leave my uncooked damper in the eski as well as my desert. Just when I thought it was safe, apsilon brought out the giant marshmallows.

IMG_3711.jpg

IMG_3713.jpg

IMG_3717.jpg

Survived in my hammock with only a slightly cool backside by shoving my thermarest in between the bottom layers, and using a wool blanket over my sleeping bag. Then up early for a cooked breakfast before heading home, having to defrost the car windscreen first.

Looking forward to Lepmeister's photos!

Lepmeister

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Sure was a great night out! Sorry to be so late in my reply and appreciation of the guys who made.

It had its challenges but that just made the experiance all the better. I have some pic that I'll get loaded now.