NSW / Queens birthday long weekend in June 8/9/10 in the Hunter valley

oz's knives

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
“The Gathering” held on the Queens birthday long weekend in June. This event has been growing increasingly popular each year. (2005 - 156 competition archers, 2006 - 186 competing archers) With 3 novelty events, full 25- 30 3D target range and the long shoot over 130- 160 metres! There is always a memorable time had by all participants and attendees. This shoot also boasts a 20 3D Target broadhead range . there is a fee to shot of around $20 for the weekend
They have more events like axe and knife throwing . A craft show so you can show off stuff you've made, like knives, carving leather work, blacksmithing work, flint naping. Basically anything you have made you can enter in to the craft show.

I have been every year since 2009 and everybody I have taken to the gathering over the years has had a fantastic time. I have taken pepople that have never shot archey before and that has been two years running now its a family event . I have 5 bow so i can lend out 4 of them the 4 bow are 60lb mongolian 60lb flat bow 40lb korean and 26lb english long bow I'll be shotting my 75lb english long bow ive got a lot of arrows so much more to do at camp every one is very frendyl . camp fire and all that good stuff knives if you carry one you made you will be showing a lot of people knives are welcome. its like going back in time to where knives are like apart of your clothes it is the best camp you go to all year IMG_0657.JPG60lb mongolianIMG_1463.jpgleft to right 75lb english long bow ,26lb english long bow , 60lb flat bow, 60lb mongolian , 40lb korean

BjornJ

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
This sounds awesome.
Is it a camping weekend kind of thing?

SaxonPathfinder

Les Stroud
Reaction score
G'day Guys, The gathering is a great all ages Family Event with a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. This year will be my 5th Gathering event and most certainly not the last!.

As Troy has Kindly Pointed out this is a Traditional Archery Event so think longbows, Recurves and Horsebows with wooden arrows being the only medium counted in competition. Novelty Events include: The Rolling Disk(Rolling Disk shooting), Running Pig(Fake pig on a zipline), BowBird (Aerial disk shooting), The Wand shoot(brightly coloured pole in the field 100-180mtrs, closest to it wins), Kids Novelty Shoot(kids up to about 12, shoot at balloons for prizes).

TBC...

Arron The Archer

Walkabout
Reaction score
damn you oz's!!! i'm drooling all over my keyboard right now i love those mongolian bows (jealous as all hell) ....... wish i could go but can't plus the fact my bow is a compound i'd be ran off with arrows sticking in my (umm can't say that) rear end :risatonaD: .....

well good luck oz's hope you enjoy yourself an do well in the comp. mate

Jacko

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
The last year I went down to "The Gathering" was the year the Freighter run aground in Newcastle Harbour, the Weather was atrocious with Horizontal Rain,got flooded in, 4" of Water was flowing down the Hill in a Torrent, all my Bedding and all my Cloths got Wet and I ended up sleeping on the Stone floor in the Clubhouse on a saturated Self Inflating Mattress and wet Sleeping Bag - I HAD AN ABSOLUTE BALL !!!!!!!! We even got to shoot some Arrows !

Won't be down there again this year but I will get back down there.

Oz and Saxon give my best to Nick, Towball, Trish and the rest of them

Arron, so you like Asiatic Recurve's - My Grozer Biocomposite Magyar [ Hungarian ] 63" ntn 45#@28" Sinew Back and Horn Belly

regards Perry

Last edited:

Arron The Archer

Walkabout
Reaction score
you're teasin me :fanculo: :risatonaD: ..... you got that right jacko i mean i love my high tech fancy compound but it still doesn't come close to asiatic recurves i mean look at the shape it pulls at full draw they are beautiful one day soon i will find somewhere to get one an buy it after thinking long an hard about which style they all have slight differences but it will be an
asiatic recurve .......

nice goat by the way good to see another feral taken care of...