NSW Newnes meet, follow up and photos

darren

Templar
Reaction score
Lucky Country, where the geckos are paid to l
Well after a 4 hr drive I’m home from Newnes. I had a great weekend with some friends and made some new ones. The weather was kind to us as well.

I can’t believe the level of cooking displayed at these meets. Master chef has nothing on a NSW bushcraft meet. The two stew things and bush chef’s bread was perfect.
I really recommend others get along to one of these meets, it’s very informal and more of a group of friend’s getting together.
Thanks to all that came.

BushChef

Karen Hood
Staff member
Reaction score
I had a great time and really enjoyed meeting new people too. The relaxed vibe was really welcome, especially as there were so many familiar faces, it was a lot like a catch up where all things 'bushie' could be discussed. There was a lot to be shared as well as discussion - delicious camp food and bushcraft skills. Wentworth and I felt we'd take initiative in proposing a location for the next NSW meet which we were thinking could be arranged for February 2013. We will be posting suggestions for locations shortly so please keep your eyes peeled.
Looking forward to the next one!

Last edited:

J.K.M

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Nice pics Darren, looks like a top spot.

darren

Templar
Reaction score
The shale oil works was in service until the 1930's when it was de commissioned. In the picture below you can see the old railway line that continues up under the escarpment through the glow worm tunnel to Clarance. You can also see a massive sandstone boulder that would be a hundred or so tonnes sitting on it. Now it has fallen from the cliff line which is about 300 odd meters up and about 1 km away in the last 80 years. It would have been a sight to see. There are a few other similar big rocks on the track as well.
It’s a little reminder that our land is constantly changing .

Last edited:

biggles1024

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Great pictures, Darren. That's exactly the sort of spot that I love exploring.

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Nice pics Darren. Ill post mine up soon. It was great to catch up with everyone again and meet some new people. As always the company is what makes these special and its just great to have a camp out and have a good yarn.

On that boulder Darren in the second photo is an inscription? Is that just a bit of graffiti or does it refer to something? I think I can make out HRT. If so their cars have come a long way!

darren

Templar
Reaction score
I battled the green slug to get these picks up mate. I think its graffiti. Unfortunately there was a bit of it around the ruins with allot saying 2012. There was signs up on the gate at the entry notifying you of surveillance cameras. Ar$e holes.... I would love to catch one.

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks to all who came along. I had a great weekend and am looking forward to the next one.
For those considering attending a meet, this one had carving, gathering, preparing and eating bush foods, various fire lighting methods, bush cooking, weaving and more.
Plus good company!

gelandangan

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Great photos Darren!

and
Thanks for everybody to make this meet a success!

My friend Albert and I have a great time there and learning plenty!
Including the first time ever I make an ember using drill technique, although since the grass are damp, I cannot made the ember become a flame, the potential is there.
I also managed to carve our an ugly (tea) spoon there..

The cookfest is nothing short of incredible! damper, bannock, YEAST bread and johnny cake, and a few different stews, rice, Italian gourmet meat balls, Biltong, jerky, and full continental breakfast yikes!!

I also have a good shock when my hammock suspension tree hugger strap broke and slammed down to the ground at midnight..
Interesting experience that..

I cannot wait for the next meeting!

Bloozz

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
I also want to comment on how great the gathering was. A terrific group of people a little community with a strong spirit of sharing, caring, learning and fun. Saw a fabulous wombat crossing the road just 3km after leaving the camp. Will post a photo if it looks alright. PS I really am sorry I set my car alarm off at 12.30am.

Looking forward to the next one already.

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice pictures Blake.

I am very sorry to of missed this one, but life gets in the way sometimes.

Aussiepom

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Nice to meet all you guys 'n gals for the 1st time, (with the exception of Blake, who I had already met).

Darren, when I get a bit of spare time I'll post my jerky recipe in your previous thread. By the way, you're right - there was a photo of the damper making comp. Maybe Blake is just too modest to show the results!

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Wasnt there a photo of the damper making comp??
By the way, you're right - there was a photo of the damper making comp. Maybe Blake is just too modest to show the results!
Didn't want to embarrass Bushchef. :)

For those who are wondering. I tried some damper in the coals directly. Long story short Darren had genuine trouble working out which one was my damper and which one was a rock. :p Here it is due to popular demand.