NSW Newnes Meet 13-14th October 2012 Organisation Thread

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Not yet mate but I will be going in a week or two and will post up some info then

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
Really looking forward to the next meet. As ever, it'll be informal. But are there specific skills people would like to share with the rest of us? I'd like to learn more about weaving techniques.

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Id love to learn some weaving! Im off to Sydney this weekend and will be back on wednesday. Ill be stopping past newnes for a sneaky camp so when I return ill have photos and details on the site for everyone.

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Hi guys so the meet is still on for the 13-14th of October at Newnes, NSW. I thought I would add some details about the meet for those who are coming or interested in coming. As with meets in the past this is a informal meet up. You need to take responsibility for getting yourself to and from Newnes as well as camping on the night if you are staying. Children are absolutely welcome but are at all times the responsibility of their guardian while at the meet.

Getting there:

To Get to Newnes is fairly simple and can be traveled in a 2wd car. If coming from Sydney you will need to take the Mudgee turn off (Castlereagh Highway) as you leave Lithgow. The turn off is on your left just after you pass the large correctional facility on your right.

About 6km down the road you approach Lisdale. You will see the Delta Power Station on your left and a Blue United Gas station.

There is no fuel at Newnes and this is the last stop for fuel before Newnes. Turn right here onto Wolgan Rd. This is the turn off to Newnes. Its just a matter of following this road all the way to Newnes. The road is sealed for the first 1/3 of the road. After a windy section the road is unsealed all the way to Newnes. It is a very pretty 35km drive from the turn off at Lisdale to the campsite at Newnes.

As you enter Newnes you will pass the historic Newnes Hotel on your left, about 1km past the Hotel on the left is a large grass flat where we will be camping.

For detailed information on getting to Newnes click here

What to do?

There is lots to do at Newnes. There will no doubt be lots of bushcraft chat and demonstrations as always on these meets but there is also the old shale works to explore and lots of bushwalking including a walk to the glowworm tunnel. This is a 9km round trip walk which starts from Wolgan Rd about 7km south of Newnes. There is a kiosk at Newnes in the historic Newnes Hotel with basic food items as well as information on the site and its history. If this is your first meet you will soon find everyone is very friendly and layed back and it wont take long to learn or do something you are interested in. I will be walking out to the Glow Worm tunnel on Sunday morning for those who would like to tag along. Its a 9km round trip but a reasonably easy walk with lots to see like the old remnants of the railway, the glow worm tunnel itself and the pagoda rock formations on the way out.

For information about walks around Newnes click here
For information about the Oil Shale Works click here

About the Campsite

About 1km past the Hotel on your left is the campsite where we will be meeting. 2wd cars will be able to access this point no problem. The campsite at Newnes is part of the Wollemi National Park and therefore national park rules apply here. There are two pit-toilets; one in the main camping area where we will be meeting and one over the river on the way to the oil shale ruins. These are the only public toilet facilities at Newnes. There are several barbeque "rings" in the main camping area and a few more at several other locations. If you wish to have an open fire (subject to any fire restrictions), please use these rings unless you have a gas cooker. Currently, there is no charge for camping within Wollemi National Park. Pets are not permitted within Wollemi National Park. If you have a dog, you will have to camp outside of National Park land on the private land in front of the Newnes hotel. A $20 fee applies here and only well behaved dogs are permitted.

The camp ground is a large grassed area. I will be swagging it up deluxe at this meet but there is plenty of trees at the perimeter of the campsite for hammocks.

For more information on camping at Newnes click here

If you have any questions just post them up here. It should be a really relaxing and fun meet with a beautiful camp site and easy access with plenty to see and do. Hope to see as many people there as we can get!

More info on Newnes in general can be found here: http://users.tpg.com.au/newnes/

Last edited:

SaxonPathfinder

Les Stroud
Reaction score
G'day guys i thought i'd just ask i anyone in the Illawarra or South Coast would like to go to this event and Car-pool?.
I plan on going but it would be great if i had some company and someone to pitch in for the fuel costs :).
Cheers Tony

gelandangan

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
I am heading off from Rockdale on midday FRIDAY 12th , railway station on Illawarra line is only across the road from me.
I'll be going with a mate of mine.
I got space enough for another one or two passenger (depending on the items they carried) on my car.

If you can get to Rockdale, we can car pool too.

SaxonPathfinder

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Hmm Very tempting offer Gelandangan... I'll just have to pack my gear and see how small i can get it...

gelandangan

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Its a Landcruiser, so I got quite large boot space.
Are you going to bring your bow and arrows again? not sure if this is allowed in public land,
OTOH, if you got R license, the gaming part of the forest is not too far away (its weekend so usually very noisy = no hunting)

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am sorry to say I am going to have to withdraw from this meet. I am very disappointed to say the least. I look forward to catching up at the next one, which hopefully won't be too far off.

Gelandangan, you may like to swing past my office on Friday and pick up that stuff on your way, otherwise another time. Let me know if you do...

gelandangan

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Thanks, Corin, I am not in a hurry, so I'll pop in some other day, I'll give you a call before I go.
Disappointed that you cannot make it.

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
OK guys the meet is still a go this weekend. Here is a confirmation list of attendance. With the date now closer and life as it is if you can post up a definite confirmation that would be good.

Definite Confirmed:

Blake
Jenny
Darren
Glendangan + friend
SaxonPathfinder
Brenton

Need final confirmation:

Aussiepom
Blooz
BjornJ
Wentworth
Bushchef
Breeza
Matt
Walker
Mountainwalker
Lepmeister
hobes
peter

Last edited:

Bloozz

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Blake

I can't say for sure yet. I twisted my ankle and broke my fibula just over 3 weeks ago. It's still very sore and I'm just not sure I should be venturing onto uneven ground and definitely wouldn't be able to participate in much. I just heard on the radio that it's going to be raining Thursday, Friday, Saturday which is a bit of a concern also.

I'm thinking that I probably should pull out but I was really looking forward to going. I'll make up my mind on Friday though.

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
No worries at all Bloozz. Hope your recovery goes well.

Good to hear Wentworth!

Weather at this stage is indicating rain until friday then frost but sunny for Saturday and Sunday.

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Definite Confirmed:

Blake
Jenny
Darren
Glendangan + friend
SaxonPathfinder
Brenton
Wentworth
Bushchef

Need final confirmation:

Aussiepom
BjornJ
Breeza
Matt
Walker
Mountainwalker
Lepmeister
hobes
peter

SaxonPathfinder

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Hey Lets have a carving comp up there :p, i'd also like to work on more primitive Skills.

gelandangan

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
More important (for me) is are we going to have a communal roast?

Aussiepom

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I'm in.

I'll have to go now; after I told my missus I might be going, she organised a chicks only party at my house, so she won't let me stay at home!